Review: The Christmas Heirloom





About the Book

 In Kristi Ann Hunter's "Legacy of Love," Sarah Gooding never suspected returning a brooch to an elderly woman would lead to a job . . . and introduce her to the woman's grandson, a man far above her station.

In Karen Witemeyer's "Gift of the Heart," widow Ruth Albright uses the family brooch as collateral for a loan from the local banker. But the more she comes to know the man behind the stern businessman, the more she hopes for a second chance at love.

In Sarah Loudin Thomas's "A Shot at Love," Fleeta Brady's rough-and-tumble childhood means she prefers hunting to more feminine activities. She never expected her family's brooch might be how a fellow hunter turns her attention from competition to romance.

In Becky Wade's "Because of You," Maddie Winslow has spent years in love with a man whose heart was already spoken for. When a church Christmas project brings them together and she stumbles upon an old family brooch, might it finally be her turn for love?
 

My Thoughts

I love Christmas stories no matter their setting. Whether they’re Victorian (my favorite), WWII, contemporary, or any period in between, I just enjoy a good Christmas tale. The treat of this collection from Bethany House is that we get four unique stories set in different eras throughout history. And while each novella is written by a different author, each one connects as they tell the stories of true love spanning generations of the women in a family.

Kristi Ann Hunter’s Regency novella might have been my favorite. I’m a big fan of that era and I loved getting to see another side of that world as our heroine was a companion to Lady Densbury. I found Sarah to be a likeable and relatable character who I love to befriend and share a piece of cake with.

Karen Witemeyer’s western might not have been my favorite novella in the collection, but I did find it to be well written with a swift pace.

Sara Loudin Thomas’s novella had me intrigued. I like reading about the 1950s and Appalachian stories and so I did enjoy that part. The gunsmith aspect wasn’t my cup of tea, but I did like heroine Fleeta.

Becky Wade’s novella was a sweet offering of true love and learning to live with grief. Leo was my favorite hero from this collection. You can’t go wrong with a bookish hero.

All in all, I think The Christmas Heirloom has something for everyone. If you’re a fan of inspirational romance and Christmas stories, there is a novella for in this collection.

All opinions expressed in this review are my own. Thanks to Bethany House and NetGalley for the chance to read this collection of Christmas love stories that span generations.

Comments

Popular Posts