Review: The Printed Letter Bookshop




by Katherine Reay

About the Book

One of Madeline Cullen’s happiest childhood memories is of working with her Aunt Maddie in the quaint and cozy Printed Letter Bookshop. But by the time Madeline inherits the shop nearly twenty years later, family troubles and her own bitter losses have hardened Madeline’s heart toward her once-treasured aunt—and the now struggling bookshop left in her care.
While Madeline intends to sell the shop as quickly as possible, the Printed Letter’s two employees have other ideas. Reeling from a recent divorce, Janet finds sanctuary within the books and within the decadent window displays she creates. Claire, though quieter than the acerbic Janet, feels equally drawn to the daily rhythms of the shop and its loyal clientele, finding a renewed purpose within its walls.
When Madeline’s professional life falls apart, and a handsome gardener upends all her preconceived notions, she questions her plans and her heart. Has she been too quick to dismiss her aunt’s beloved shop? And even if she has, the women’s best combined efforts may be too little, too late.

My Thoughts

This book is Katherine Reay at her finest. Once I started this book, I couldn’t put it down. The characters are living and breathing and leap off the page. While the three heroines are very different people, and are at different walks in life, their lives intertwine in many ways between beginning and end. The story is layered with many twists and turns. And The Printed Letter Bookshop, a character itself, is as warm and inviting as any bookshop you can imagine. I’d love to spend a day at the shop. Nearly every emotion is portrayed in this novel. At times, it is heartbreaking, and at others, it will make you smile, sometimes even laugh. It’s such a rich and satisfying novel.

While not overt, the faith theme in The Printed Letter Bookshop is more noticeable than in most of Reay’s other novels, something I appreciate seeing. I love seeing the messages of grace and self-worth portrayed for each character in the book.

I can definitely see myself returning to this novel someday. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves literature and is looking for a prolific read.

All opinions expressed in this review are my own. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for the complimentary copy of this wonderfully full novel.

Comments

  1. This one is in my soon-to-read-TBR pile (pretty sure my next-read honor goes to Becky Wade's latest), and I have no doubt I'll enjoy it. Glad to hear you liked the story... or from what I read you did. Didn't read your review in its entirety because I've read to read the pretty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really enjoy this one, Rissi. It's a wonderful read and I can't recommend it enough! Thanks for stopping by the blog! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts