Top Ten Books of 2019




Oh 2019, where did you go? It’s hard to believe that this year is coming to a close, even harder to fathom that we’ve reached the end of a decade.

As the year comes to its end, it’s time to look back and reflect. And as an avid reader, that means remembering all the books that made me smile. Here I have listed ten such books. Enjoy.

Image result for becoming mrs. lewis book

A bold voice offers readers a deeper look into one of modern Christian literature’s most beloved figures, while introducing us to the woman he loved. At turns heartening and heart breaking, this is a novel I would recommend to anyone.



Wilson’s stunning debut offers readers the Austenian beauty of Regency we love, tempered by a Gothic flair that is oh so Brontë-worthy. At once a murder mystery centering on a young woman on a journey of self-discovery, and at turns an entrancing romance, In the Shadow of Croft Towers offers something for all lovers of inspirational historical fiction.



An atmospheric romp through 1920s Chicago wrapped in mystery, this young-adult novel was a surprise. A sparkling voice tells us the story of love, loss, and self-discovery set amid a time wrought with change.



Politano’s skilled writing with light sprinklings of whimsy and sweetness combine with the deliciousness of Gothic Victorian literature and create a luminous novel rich in detail. With nods to the classics passed between the two main characters, Finding Lady Enderly offers not only an endearing romance, but a story of self-worth and one’s identity in the eyes of the Beholder.



An uncommon hero and heroine are hallmarks of Camden’s writing and we find such again in this delightful novel. Filled with obscure historical facts, a lively setting, and a charming cast of supporting characters, I loved The Spice King.



Smart, whimsical, and full of heart, this older book of Lynn Austin’s was one that I couldn’t put down. I absolutely loved Alice and her eccentric, wonderland-ish cast of friends and will cherish them always.



Pittman can write about the roaring twenties like no other. In this story of a flapper in the newspaper world falling for a Christian man we find a novel of self-discovery and self-worth; of love in more than one form. It is a delight to a vintage loving soul.



Not only was Dyke’s debut novel one of my favorite books of the year, it also quickly became one of my all-time favorite novels. A richly layered story with deep themes of faith and love wrapped in the most delectable poetic voice I have ever had the pleasure of reading in Christian fiction, this book is one for the ages.



Reay’s latest offering is her best yet. It is one of the richest contemporary novels in Christian fiction with complex characters, thought provoking threads of story, and a hearty dose of love for all things bookish. As the characters learn more about themselves and the grace of the One who has always loved them, we ourselves come to similar realizations. I cannot recommend it enough.



I can’t say enough good things about this book. I loved every page of this WWI set novel. Margot and Drake are two of the most endearing characters in recent memory. Their romance set amid war-time England, mystery, and grief was a treat to read. Threaded with spiritual truths and told with grace, this is a novel that I will most certainly read again.

Have you read any of the books on this list? What were some of your favorites from this year? I would love to hear your thoughts!

–Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Yay for books that make us smile! :) Love your list! I remember really enjoying Wonderland Creek when I read that one as well. And I love seeing Whose Waves These Are and The Number of Love so high on your list, as they're both in my TBR!

    Also, since you and Hamlette both have The Printed Letter Bookshop on your top 10 lists, I'm thinking I'd like to read that one! I've put it on hold at the library and should be able to pick it up soon I think. :)

    Hope 2020 is another year of great reading for you--and just a wonderful year in general!

    Hugs,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts