Review: The Key to Deceit by Ashley Weaver



 The Key to Deceit

by Ashley Weaver


About the Book


The second in the Electra McDonnell series from Edgar-nominated author Ashley Weaver, The Key to Deceit, is a delightful World War II mystery filled with spies, murder, romance, and wit.


London, 1940. After years of stealing form the rich and giving to the poor–well, to themselves, anyway–Ellie McDonnell and her family have turned over a new leaf as they help the government’s war effort. It’s true that the straight-laced Major Ramsey didn’t give them much choice, but still, Ellie must admit she doesn’t miss breaking and entering as much as she might have thought. What she does miss is the challenge of unlocking an impossible code and the adrenaline rush that comes from being somewhere she shouldn’t.


So when Major Ramsey turns up unannounced with another job, she can’t say no. A woman’s body has been floating in the Thames, with a bracelet locked onto her wrist, and a cameo locket attached to it. It’s clear this woman was involved in espionage, but whose side was she on? Who was she reporting to? And who wanted her dead?


My Thoughts

I loved this book! I think I loved it even more than the first book in the series, and that is really saying something. There are so many things that make The Key to Deceit a great read; top-notch dialogue, suspense, intrigue, and an authentic setting. It all comes together and makes for a lovely book.


Ellie is just a delight. She’s smart, tough, and adventurous. She is just the sort of character you want to spend a day with, and I hope we get many more adventures with her and her quirky family and friends. Speaking of which, I love Uncle Mick and Nacy to pieces. They feel like people you would know in real life and the love they have for Ellie is palpable. Merriweather Hastings was a new character that I also loved!


And let me mention the two love interests in Ellie’s life. Normally, I don’t like love triangles in books, but in the case of the Electra McDonnell mysteries, I’ll make an exception just because I like both Major Ramsey and Felix Lacey.


Weaver is a master at writing mysteries that keep you guessing. I was totally surprised by who had committed the crime, and I love when that happens. Combined with impeccable research providing a vivid WWII era London setting and wonderful characters that are perfectly developed make this book a delightful read.


Brimming with suspense, witty banter, and sparkling period details, The Key to Deceit is everything historical mystery lovers crave. Highly recommend!


I received a copy of this book from St. Martin’s Press through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts