Book of the Week #9- Coraline

Coraline
by Neil Gainman
    It's no secret that I love quirky stories, movies and art and Neil Gainman's Coraline is no exception. It's the story of Coraline Jones who's parents tell her to do something- anything- on a rainy day. Bored and lonely, Coraline roams about the Pink Palace where she and her family live and finds a small door. On the other side of that door, Coraline stumbles into a world where everything is opposite and things get weird.
    This is one of my favorite books (I feel like I say that in a lot of "Book of the Week" posts, but hey, I have a lot of favorite books). It really speaks to the quirky part of me. It's like a Sci-Fi fantasy- Stephen King meets Alice In Wonderland perhaps? I really don't know how you would describe it, but whatever you want to call, call it good. There're crazy old neighbor ladies, parents that just don't understand, a weird neighbor kid and ghost children. And they live in a PINK house. #SoJelly
    I think they label this as a "middle reader" novel. Most kids around the age of 13 or 14 up would probably enjoy this, but I have feeling it may scare kids below that age. Especially some of the illustrations of The Other Mother.... creepy.
    All in all, Coraline is a great read (and the movie is fantastic, too!) and I give it a 5 out 5.

Comments

Popular Posts