Top Ten Tuesday: Books Abroad

Top Ten Tuesday is weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

One of the best parts about reading is learning about new places. Books are like magical portals that take you to new places. I can't count how many times reading has stirred wanderlust within me. I wouldn't know much about other countries if I didn't read, and many of the books I've read take place outside of the U.S. That's why this week's Top Ten Tuesday is delightful to me. This week we were asked to list ten books that take place outside of the U.S.



10: Cinder by Marissa Meyers
As far as I can recall, is the only book I've read set in China. I don't know why I haven't read more books set there, or in other Asian countries, because I'm sure they're probably very interesting. I'll have to look into some more books set there. Hint, hint; suggestions, please!



9: The Lost Heiress by Roseanna M. White
This book may not have been one of my absolute favorites, but I still enjoyed it for the most part. It takes place partly in the Mediterranean, but mostly in England. If you love Downton Abbey, this book is certainly worth a try.



8: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
I haven't read the entire Harry Potter series, but of all the ones I have read, I think The Chamber of Secrets is my favorite.



7: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
One of the most heart-breaking books in history, Anne Frank's diary details the lives of two families as they live in an annex in Germany during WWII. This is a book every person should read.



6: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
This book not only takes place partially in another country, but also in another world. Narnia is a magical place and this book is my favorite in The Chronicles of Narnia.



5: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
One of the most well-known classics takes place in Bath, England. It's a classic tale of two stubborn people who fall in love. Every bibliophile needs to read it at least once.



4: I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
This is a lovely classic that I rarely hear other's talk about. It is a coming of age novel set in rural England and is one of my favorites.



3: The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan
Taking place in Edwardian Toronto, Rachel McMillan's debut novel was a treat to read that I would recommend to anyone. It's a cozy mystery filled with humor, suspense, romance, and strong female characters. What more could you ask for?



2: The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
The Blue Castle is one of Montgomery's lesser known novels, as well as one of her few adult novels, is also her only story that doesn't take place on Prince Edward Island. It's such a charming tale that almost leans on the quirky side. I loved this book set in Canada.



1: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

My favorite novel of all time has such a lovely setting. I so looked forward to the day when I finally get to see Prince Edward Island, Canada someday and visit all the places Lucy Maud loved so much.

Comments

  1. Cool list of books! I read The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank years ago.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/07/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-set-outside-us.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Diary Of A Young Girl, is a great book! I think everyone should read it at least once in the life! I would love to reread it! Great Top Ten! :D
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Giovanna. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant list. I do love a book set outside the US, so many I read are in the US so it's nice for some different ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good books on this list including 'Narnia' and Rachel's. Someday I must read Cinder (Kara and Amber have been telling me how good those books are for years now), and of course, I adore Pride and Prejudice as film adaptations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that I liked The Lunar Chronicles since I don't usually read that type of book, but I really do. And yes; anything to do with P&P I'm for! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts