I Finally Watched The 1995 Pride and Prejudice Mini-Series


When I graduated from high school, my cousin gave me the 2005 Pride and Prejudice as a gift, starring Kiera Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen, Donald Sutherland, and others. At the time, I hadn’t yet read the book, but when I watched the movie, I loved it. It’s a really beautiful film. The lighting, the costumes, the scenery; it’s very pretty to look at. I always thought that everyone played their parts really well, and I liked Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet; he just really fits that role well.

For a while I’d wanted to watch the 1995 Pride and Prejudice mini-series. I read the book at age 20 and I really enjoyed it. I’d always heard that the mini-series starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth was the Holy Grail. So this year, I finally ordered my own copy from Amazon and watched it.

I loved it.


I love the look of the series; the costumes look more authentic and the Bennets’s home looks more like I think Jane Austen probably intended it. The scenery is really pretty and gives that nice English country side vibe to the series. The actors fit their roles really well- I thought Jennifer made the perfect Lizzy Bennet. It was a really nice mini-series that I enjoyed.



There were things here and there that the 2005 film did differently that I didn’t like. Like when Lizzy visits Pemberley Park and sees the statue of Darcy, but in the book they looked at the paintings, which was portrayed in the 1995 mini-series. And the proposals were more accurately portrayed in the mini-series, as well. I think the mini-series portrayed a more authentic version of Pride and Prejudice.


This topic has been much debated in the Austenite circle ever since the 2005 film premiered. Some love it, some hate it.

But I love both.


It’s hard for me to say that I hate one and love the other, because I don’t. There are things that I love about both versions. As stated before, I love the costumes in the mini-series; I’ve always liked the look of Regency clothing, and I think the mini-series depicted a more authentic version of period clothing. I think all the actors did really well in their roles and brought Jane Austen’s characters to life. The scenery is beautiful and the scenes stay pretty much true to the book. But, I still have room in my heart for the 2005 Focus Feature, with its pretty lighting, beautiful music, and fun Mr. Bennet.


So readers and friends, I’m curious; what are your thoughts on these two versions of Pride and Prejudice?


-Miranda Atchley






Comments

  1. I love the Colin Firth version of P&P, but my favorite is the 2004 version with David Rintoul. I think it is my favorite because it is the first version I ever saw after I read the book. I loved it. The shorter versions are not my favorites. I thought the one you mentioned was okay, but it wasn't authentic to the period it seemed. Anyway, P&P will always be my most favorite Austen book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I don't think that version was made in 2004. The DVD I looked at released in 2004. I am pretty sure it came before the 1995 version. I saw it in the 80's ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to watch that one someday. I have Sense and Sensibility in that series, and I really like it. Glad you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts