Review: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen



by Jane Austen

Fanny Price is the quintessential “poor cousin.” Her family consists of many siblings, and when her mother and father find themselves unable to care for all of them, they send Fanny to live with her aunt and uncle, Sir Thomas and Mrs. Norris at Mansfield Park. Living in the grand home is an adjustment for Fanny and her cousins and aunt are not very fond of her, though she adapts to life at Mansfield Park. Over the years, Fanny and Edmund become very close, yet her aunt has other plans for both of them.

Mansfield Park is among my favorite Austen novels. I just found myself enjoying the book. I liked Fanny; she was one of Jane Austen’s more realistic characters and I felt pretty sorry for her most of the time. Edmund was all right; I feel like I didn’t really get to know him, like he wasn’t as big a part of the story as some of Jane Austen’s other heroes. But he seemed pretty nice and I like that he stood up for Fanny. There were of course a ton of villains trying to thwart love’s plans. Mrs. Norris was a very annoying character and fit her role of the evil relation perfectly. But alas, there was the happy ending and all was well at Mansfield Park (for the most part, anyway).

I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.



Comments

Popular Posts