Review: The Elusive Miss Ellison by Carolyn Miller



by Carolyn Miller

Lavinia Ellison leads a quiet life with her clergyman father and her Aunt Patience in the countryside of Regency England. She’s quite content to pay calls throughout the village and painting watercolors of nature, her dog Mickey at her side. Though the pain caused by the tragedy that claimed her mother years ago still lingers in her heart. When Nicholas Hawkesbury returns to the village as the new earl of Hawkesbury House, all are excited save for Lavinia. She still harbors hard feelings toward him for the role his brother played in the death of her mother and holds him responsible for the poor state of the village tenant’s housing. Nicholas is perplexed by her odd behavior. Can he win over the elusive Miss Ellison?

I really enjoyed this book. It isn’t a fast paced novel, more one that you take your time reading. Carolyn Miller shows a real talent for writing in this novel. Like many others, I was reminded of Lizzy and Mr. Darcy as I read about Lavinia and Lord Hawkesbury, only there were some differences in their rivalry that kept it feeling like a fresh story. I liked the characters; Lavinia was a very likable heroine and Nicholas was a good hero. And I love the wait faith is portrayed in this book; it’s immersed throughout the story and told in a lovely way. It’s simply an enjoyable book.

Overall, The Elusive Miss Ellison is a book that Christian historical fans will love. If you’re an Austenite, you will most certainly want to read this book.


I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

  1. Thanks Miranda! I'm so glad you enjoyed Lavinia and Nicholas's story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure! You wrote such a great book, Carolyn. I can't wait to read the next two books in the series! :)

      Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good! I have the first and second in this series on my Kindle. :) This first book sounds atmospheric and sweet and meaningful - great combination! And of course, glad to hear it resonates with Austen fans. :)

    Happy (almost) Thanksgiving, friend!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great book, Amber! I really think you'll love it, especially since you enjoyed Pride and Prejudice. I'm read The Captivating Lady Charlotte right now; it's good and Charlotte is quite reminiscent of Marianne from Sense and Sensibility. :-)

      Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts