Review: Perception by Emily Ann Benedict


by Emily Ann Benedict

In 1917, young Abbey Evans had found the love of her life. Yet when her godmother Rosaline found out about Abbey’s feelings for a poor young man, she convinced Abbey that marrying Fredrick would be a mistake. When the U.S. entered WWI, Fredrick immediately enlisted, went to off to war in France and there he remained, working in politics after the war ended. Now, in 1930, Abbey is living with her pompous father and spoiled sister, both of whom seem oblivious to the economic depression taking place in their country. Abbey tries to keep things running in their family’s large estate home in upstate New York with fewer servants than Evans House has ever known, though it becomes more difficult as time passes by. When Fredrick returns to the U.S., Abbey is surprised to find that he’s made his way back into her social circle. In the time since the war ended, he has made a name for himself in politics and earned a nice fortune. And all the old feelings come rushing back, yet Fredrick seems to hold no interest for her. Can they ever have what they once had?

I really liked this book. I felt really sorry for Abbey Evans just like I did for Anne Elliot in Austen’s Persuasion. Her family just seemed to walk over her and expected her to do everything for them. She was never asked; she was simply told. Between her dad, and her sisters, and her godmother, she was never allowed to think for herself. Like in the original, Fredrick plays more of a background part. I kept wondering when he was going to get more lines. I remember thinking that when I read Persuasion. I think both books are more about Abbey and Anne learning to stick up for themselves and making their own decisions, which I really appreciate. I thought it was so neat that Abbey and Sam started their own cosmetics company. It was a really neat element of the story, and was a sign of those times when women were starting to do more.

Perception was a good novel, and a fresh take on Austen’s classic, Persuasion. I would recommend this book to any fan of historical fiction.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.


I received a review copy of Perception, though the opinions in this review are my own.

Comments

  1. I've seen this series around on Goodreads and probably some blogs, too, but haven't ever read any of them. It's nice to see you review all of them and do know they're entertaining reads. Who doesn't enjoy Austen stories retold? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really neat series that I would recommend. I hate to chose favorites, but Perception probably was my favorite! It was just so well done. And yes, Austen retellings are always intriguing. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts