First Line Fridays: The Valley of Fear

Hey readers and friends! It’s Friday, so of course that means it’s time to share the first line from the books we’re reading. Thanks to Hoarding Books for hosting!

My current read is TheValley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Here are the first few lines in the book.


“I am inclined to think-” said I.
“I should think so,” Sherlock Holmes remarked impatiently.
I believe that I am one of the most long-suffering of mortals; but I’ll admit that I was annoyed at the sardonic interruption.

I highlighted that last line in my Kindle, because 1) it’s hilarious, and 2) it’s so true! Dr. John Watson most certainly is a long-suffering mortal and has more patience with Sherlock Holmes than most others would have.

So there you have the first line of the book I’m reading. What’s the first line of the book you’re reading? I’d love to hear about it!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Hi Miranda! I'm glad you've joined the First Line Friday fun!

    A splinter of wood pierced Mary Elizabeth Chapman's thumb as she crept behind her lifelong friend Dorothy Raynsford.
    The Mayflower Bride by Kimberly Woodhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great line, Beth Erin! Thank you for stopping by my blog and sharing your current read! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love Sir Authur Conan Doyle! Have you seen the Sherlock series that aired on PBS? It's simply brilliant! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Doyle, too! I have not watched the series yet, but have heard good things. :-) Thank you for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun one!

    Over on my blog, I am featuring Heather B. Moore's novel, Worth the Risk. I am very excited to read that book. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

    Here, I will post from the novel I am currently reading, A Refuge Assured by Jocelyn Green. It is an AMAZING story that I am enjoying wholeheartedly. I am just starting chapter 29, so I will share the first two lines from this chapter.

    Asylum, Pennsylvania
    July 1795

    Still damp with morning's dew, the cool earth soiled Vivienne's apron as she knelt in her garden, tugging weeds from between iris and yarrow. Geese soared overhead, soft brown chevrons against a sky of robin's-egg blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great line, Nicole! Very interesting and beautiful sounding. Thank you for stopping by today! :-)

      Delete
  4. While I love the shows (both the TV series and the movies), I don't think I've read a complete Sherlock Holmes book! Thanks for sharing and happy Friday!

    Here’s the first line from my current read.

    Four years to the day after the alien planet arrived above Earth, Sofi’s papa had collapsed on the rickety front porch of their buttermilk-yellow farmhouse. –Reclaiming Shilo Snow by Mary Weber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Sherlock Holmes books. They're great! And that's a pretty interesting line you shared. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  5. Josie Gallagher gripped the letter from the county manager's office with tight hands. - Her Secret Daughter by Ruth Logan Herne

    Happy Friday and Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday! My first line is from Forward to What Lies Ahead by Chloe S. Flanagan:

    "Regina's cellphone buzzed sharply, shattering the silence of her apartment and making her coffee table vibrate."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an intriguing first line, Becky! Thank you for stopping by today! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts