Writing Is Like Sewing

  Have you ever sewn? I have, though I'm not that great at it. My mom taught me a few things when I was around fifteen. I made some skirts, which were fairly easy, but when it came to shirts, I was hopeless. My collars would always come out either too high or too low, the sleeves lopsided. Now I mainly just embroider from time to time or stitch up a whole in my clothes when needed.
  I've been thinking, writing is a lot like sewing. Let me explain:
  When I start out with a story, I have a general idea of what it will look like, but I'm not entirely sure of all the details. In the beginning I'll place random sentences, paragraphs and chapters here and there. Everything is loosely being held together by a general idea, a common piece of thread. The more you work on it, the more the pieces come together. The details or thread become stronger, binding everything together until it flows, becoming one.
  Hope your Thursday is fabulous. Swing by tomorrow for another installment of Favorite Word Friday!


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

Popular Posts