Pride and Prejudice Read-Along Week 3



Hello readers and friends! Another week of the Pride and Prejudice Read-Along has past, and what a week it has been! There’s a lot to discuss, and so without further ado, here we go! For more information on the read-along, just visit seasonsofhumility.blogspot.com

Favorite Quote

“To Jane herself,” she (Elizabeth) exclaimed, “there could be no possibility of objection; all loveliness and goodness as she is!- her understanding excellent, her mind improved, and her manners captivating.”

The only pain was in leaving her father, who would certainly miss her, and who, when it came to the point, so little liked her going, that he told her to write to him, and almost promised to answer her letter.

General Impressions

This section was packed with big happenings! After the Bingleys and Hursts leave Netherfield Park, Caroline sends a rather passive aggressive letter to Jane, stating that she believes that one day Miss Darcy will be her sister. Heartbroken, Jane goes to stay with her aunt in London where she hopes she might again see Mr. Bingley, yet is only met with a disappointing visit from Caroline. Meanwhile, after Lizzy refused Mr. Collins’s proposal in the last section, he is now married to Lizzy’s dear friend Charlotte. In this section, we read as Lizzy visits the Collins’ and meets the much discussed Lady Catherine de Bourgh at her infamous Rosings Park. Here Lizzy also meets Miss de Bourgh, as well as Colonel Fitzwilliam, who is visiting Rosings with his cousin, Mr. Darcy. At the end of this section, we read of Mr. Darcy’s proposal, and Lizzy’s consequent outrage and refusal. We also see Mr. Whickham become engaged to a young woman whom has recently come into 10,000 pounds. Like I said, a lot happened in this section!

One thing that surprises me about Austen novels are the visits that the heroines often pay to friends and relatives. I know that things were very different then and you can’t really compare it to modern day, but it does seem odd to think of staying months with an aunt or a friend. I’m definitely a homebody, and so maybe if I were more of a traveler it wouldn’t seem so odd. Just an observation! Haha.


Discussion Questions

1: In chapter 1 of volume II Jane tells Elizabeth, “Let me take it in the best light”- referring to the situation with the Bingleys. Do you admire Jane for her way of approaching life, or do you think she is too naïve? Is it better to always think positively, or are there times when it’s more harmful than good?

I think that it’s good that Jane doesn’t automatically assume the worse with people. But I do think that it would be harmful for her to continue to believe the best if someone was continually presenting themselves in a bad manner. Yet I don’t think she’s naïve to the point of harm.

2: Pick a character from this section of reading and imagine yourself having a conversation with him or her. How would it go? What would you talk about, and how would you respond to this person’s attitude and manners?

There are a few characters that I would like to meet in Pride and Prejudice. Of course I would like to meet Lizzy and discuss literature with her, but I would also like to meet Jane. I think she would be a good confident; someone to go to for advice.

3: How would you respond to Mr. Darcy’s proposal in this section?

I would have said no. At this point in the book, we have only seen Mr. Darcy’s proud exterior, and there would be no reason to accept his proposal.

And thus ends this week of the Pride and Prejudice Read-Along. What do you think of these chapters of Pride and Prejudice?


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Oh I agree! It does seem like such a long time to stay with people! Like moving in with them! Although even now when we go to CA to visit my parents or to FL to visit my husband's mom we stay at least a month. So maybe they used the same excuse as we do...the distance is so long and not easy to get there so maybe they need to stay that long in order to make the travel "worth it" I don't know. But it does seem that they spend an awful lot of time gadding about. And then I always remember the saying fish and company smell after 3 days...hahahahahaha! A lot did happen in the chapters we read! All goodness to me! ha! I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand that. When you travel that far, you do want to stay a while, or it just seems like your spending most of your time on the road! Thank you so much for stopping by, Julie! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you and Julie - what a LONG time people spend during their visits! And Lady Catherine wanted Lizzy and Charlotte's sister to stay at least another two weeks!! LOL. Different times, for sure. ;)

    Also, I especially love the second quote you picked! He "almost promised to answer"...good old Mr. Bennet. ;) Too funny!

    Great post, friend! Only a couple more discussions to go!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those girls spent more time visiting others than did at home! LOL! And Mr. Bennet always had the best lines. :-) I already miss the read-along.... Can't wait for the next!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts