It's A Great Big World


"I wrote these words on the highway,
Let my heart take a turn,
Sometimes did things the hard way,
But it's a great big world."
Great Big World by Children 18:3

   I feel like this song kind of describes my life right now. Maybe not down to the "T" but it kind of captures the general feeling of my life at the moment.
  When I quit college, I knew I was going to work at becoming an author. And I did that. I spent about a year writing Stephanie's Story, earning the money to publish it by cleaning the church, and then released it on March 18, 2014. Now, before you go thinking I'm giving kids the green light to drop out of school, let me state that I don't recommend the road I've chosen to everyone. I think college educations are wonderful things for some people. Some people thrive in college and go on to lead very happy lives. But I was miserable because I wasn't doing it for myself. I went to college because I thought it would make everyone else happy. I thought people wouldn't like me if I didn't get a college degree. But I hated school and all I wanted was to write books. So I didn't go back after that first semester. I beat myself up for it for a long time because I thought a lot of people were disappointed in me. And I'm sure there were some people who weren't too pleased. But I'm realizing now that the people that matter most are happy for me when I'm happy. I don't have to earn their love.
Since then, I've published two more books. No way am I living the lifestyles of the rich and famous. But that's not what it's all about. Sure, I'd love to make a great living and be able to buy my whole family nice new homes and cars and what not, but I'm not writing to be rich. I'm writing because this is what I was meant to do and this is what I love. I'm trying to make writing my living, trying to find new ways to sell books and trying to get some freelance writing work. Though it would be nice to be rich and famous, if I can only make ends meet, I'll be fine. As long as I get to write, that's all that matters to me.
  I know a lot of people look at a college dropout and think there's no way they can be a successful author, but I disagree. Ahem, Jane Austen never to college and people have been reading her novels for over two centuries.

  Sometimes things seem bleak and hopeless. I'm not going to lie to you and say that I'm always positive and sure that everything will work out because I'm just like everyone else in that I worry about what will happen in the future. But God reminds me that I need to trust Him and I'm trying to get better at trusting Him. And with Him, I know that somehow things will work out for the best.

Comments

Popular Posts