Stepping Outside of Your Writing Comfort Zone


Sometimes it seems odd to think about writing characters that are totally different from ourselves. I mean, think of how much time goes into writing about a character. Describing them, developing their personality, voicing their thoughts and emotions, how they view the world and their opinions. There is a lot to it. Could I figure all that out about another real-life human being? I don't think so. Sometimes I don't even know myself that well. But I think it's different when you're writing a book. Personally I think it's a God-given talent that God has blessed me with. He gives me this wisdom to know these characters and their personalities as I go along. He helps me write the things I need to write.

I understand it could be scary to write about a character who is vastly different than yourself. For instance, the project I'm working right now on has a good deal more romance in it than my prior books and I've never even been on a date before. But, me being a human being and all, I have noticed the opposite sex, and that gives me something to draw off of. The fact that I've read romance novels doesn't hurt either. I can always use good ol' Gilbert Blythe as inspiration. Or perhaps the classy Mr. Darcy if the story's feeling a little debonair. It's a tough job I tell, ya, but somebody's gotta do it.

As for doubting yourself, let me remind you that a very well-known male author once wrote a book about a sixteen-year-old girl with telekinetic powers. I doubt that was based on real life experience any more than J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter. Look how well that turned out for them.

If you feel like you should write this story, then I say go for it. Sure, you may have to do a little extra research, but if you really like the story line, it should be interesting. God will help you write the story you're meant to write.

So take a risk, step outside of yourself and write something fun! Chances are you won't be sorry.



-Miranda Atchley

Comments

Popular Posts