Writing Confession #1


 Let me tell you a little secret. I don't do a lot of planning when it comes to novel writing. I know, that's a no-no. But I just never seem to be able to buckle down and stick with a plan. Sure, I have a general idea of what's going to happen with the story, but I don't start out with a ton of details. I've heard of the "Snowflake Method" and read of other authors who plan out every little detail of their book, even down to writing biographies for supporting characters. And that all sounds fun, really it does, and I wish I could get into that, but I just can't.
  When I get an idea for a story, I just want to dive right in and start writing it. I'll just write whatever comes to me and sounds good. The story just flows. Often as I'm doing the mundane chores the day requires, like sitting outside with my grandma's dogs, taking a walk or cleaning, a line will just come to me. As soon as I can, I'll get my little notebook out and write it down and make a note to add it to the story when I can get to my computer. And sometimes those lines spark whole new stories of their own. It's quite a neat thing, really.
  Do I think this is a terribly professional way to write? No. It certainly would not be for everyone and sometimes I think I've lost my ever loving mind by not doing more prep work when it comes to writing. And who knows, maybe someday I'll finally come to my senses and start using the Snowflake Method or another more detailed plan to help me become more organized when it comes to story writing. But for now, this is what I do.
  Hope you all have a great weekend full of God, fun, family, friends and some great reading and writing! I'll catch you next week with some more writing talk. Until then....

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

Popular Posts