For The Love of Old Books


I was thinking about bookstores the other day. I'm not a big fan of the chains. It isn't that I dislike them, per say, it's just that I think the old used bookstores are better. I love the homey atmosphere. Books stacked tall, surrounding you. Uneven floors that creek when you walk across them. I love it when you can approach the owner and they actually know books; you can ask them about a certain author and they know exactly who you are talking about. There's one like this an hour from my house and it has all these neat little nooks and crannies, peeling paint, these large lovely windows from ages ago and that oh-so-lovely musty smell.

Old books are just better than new books. Don't get me wrong, I love new books. I read them, own them, my books are new.....; they're great. And my Kindle is amazing, too. It's so convenient and I have found so many great books that I wouldn't have known of otherwise, so of course I'm a big fan of that. But I feel like old books are becoming less appreciated by the day and I hate that. Old books are so comforting. Those crumbly yellowed pages, the worn and fraying spines, and that smell...... *Sigh* Few things compare. And plucking them from a library or a bookstore bookshelf is just so satisfying; I love walking about with a stack of books in the crook of my arm; it's wonderful.

Really, I am thankful for places like Amazon and for e-readers because they do make a bookworm's (and an author's) life much easier. Yet I love the old guys and I'd hate to see them become obsolete.

Thanks for stopping by today. I'm curious; do you have a have a favorite used book store?


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. I love Chapters. I really do. But I LOOOOOVE used book stores. I wish there were more boutique book stores around here :/ It's hard. I hate when people are like 'NEW BOOKS ARE EVIL BLAH" but it's sad to see old bookstores aren't as common :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel! Some people can be a bit mean when it comes to new books vs. old books, but I think they're both great. There's just something about the old ones that have a certain feel that I love.... And yes, used bookstores are amazing! Love the feeling they have, plus, hello! so much easier on your wallet. Haha! My town has zero book stores. Walmart carries a terribly small selection, the Dollar General JUST added a cheap section and you can find a few used ones at flea markets and such (I live in hick town, by the way lol). I wish we had more bookstores; used and new. Any amount of books is a good amount! Haha.

      Thanks for stopping by Stefanie! I always enjoy hearing from you.

      ((Hugs))

      -Miranda Atchley

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts