Sense and Sensibility Read-Along | Discussion: Vol. I




Hello readers and friends! It’s the first discussion for the Sense and Sensibility read-along, hosted by Amber. Today we’re discussing Volume I.

Favorite Quotes

“She had an excellent heart;- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them.”

“Marianne’s abilities were, in many respects, quite equal to Elinor’s. She was sensible and clever; but eager in everything: her sorrows, her joys, could have no moderation. She was generous, amiable, interesting: she was everything but prudent.”

(And here we have sense, and, sensibility. J)

“With what transporting sensation have I formerly seen them fall! How have I delighted, as I walked, to see them driven in showers about me by the wind! What feelings have they, the season the air altogether inspired! Now there is no one to regard them. They are seen only as a nuisance, swept hastily off, and driven as much as possible from the sight.”

General Impressions

Quite a bit has happened in this first volume. We’ve met the Dashwoods and seen them leave their beloved (mostly by Marianne) Norland. Their neighbors, Sir John and Lady Middleton, have been introduced and we’ve seen the potential suitors of Elinor and Marianne come into the story. I think we’ve gotten to know our heroines more quickly in this book than in other Austen novels. In the first few pages, we were told what their personalities were and they’ve pretty well lived up to those descriptions. I like both sisters in their own respects. They each have their faults; but who doesn’t? I really like Mrs. Dashwood; she’s the best Austen mom (though she doesn’t have much competition). Edward is a nice person, though he needs to develop more of a backbone. Having read the book before, I know Willoughby and can’t stand his character. I’m torn when it comes to Colonel Brandon. He seems like a nice guy, but he’s just too old for Marianne.

Discussion Questions

1: So far, do you relate more to Elinor or Marianne? Do you find it more important to act properly and rationally, or do you prefer to speak your mind and express your true emotions?
Overall, I think I relate more to Elinor. But there are some instances when as I’m reading the book, Marianne will say something that I relate so much to. Like the quote about fall that I mentioned above. I have a great appreciation for the seasons, and certain places. I just don’t always voice my feelings.

2: Imagine you’re invited to tea at Barton Park and have to make conversation with Sir and Lady Middleton and Mrs. Jennings. What would you talk about? How would you survive the afternoon? J (Feel free to round out the imaginary occasion with other guests of your choosing, like Colonel Brandon , Willoughby, Mr. and Mrs. Palmer, or the Miss Steeles.)
I think I would be pretty uncomfortable around this group. Sir John sort of gets on my nerves; he’s not a bad person, but he’s just kind of goofy. I don’t have much of an opinion on Lady Middleton, but I do like Mrs. Jennings; she seems kind and caring, even if she is a bit too preoccupied with making matches (ahem, Emma when she’s older). I can imagine if we were having tea, Mrs. Jennings would be coaxing whatever words she could pry out of me as I attempt to keep up with Sir John’s ramblings while my mind would undoubtedly be a million miles away, thinking of something I either read or hoped to write. The Miss Steeles would be in the corner talking to one another, while Mrs. Palmer sat giggling incessantly at something she said (grating terribly on my nerves), her husband sighing as he kept his nose buried in his paper. I would be ignoring Willoughby, wishing he would just leave and I think Colonel Brandon would be sitting quietly in the corner observing this all as it happened.

3: How would you respond to Lucy’s revelations at the end of Volume I if you were Elinor? Would you keep Lucy’s secret from everyone? Would you continue to remain “friends” with Lucy?
For my initial reaction, I would probably respond exactly the same as Elinor. I wouldn’t have said anything when Lucy made her declaration. But, I don’t think I could have kept it to myself for long; I probably would have blabbed to Mrs. Dashwood and Marianne all about it.

So there we have the first volume of Sense and Sensibility. What are your thoughts on the book so far?

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. I love your observations and quotes! You do seem to have a better handle on the story than I do. I'm having a hard time getting into the story. I love the movie though. And I definitely agree with you that Colonel Brandon is a bit too old for Marianne. But it seems to be the way things were in the day. He truly shows his care and love for her in the future. Poor Elinor, what a shock Lucy gave her. Great post Miranda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching the BBC miniseries from the '80s and that has helped bring the story to life for me.

      It certainly seems as though in many instances there was a great age gap between the husband and wife. Enjoying talking over this book with you! :-)

      Delete
  2. I really like Elinor and Marianne too! The "sense and sensibility" theme is pretty strong, isn't it? It makes me wonder if that was the working title all along for Jane. Did she know the title before she even started or finished the book? (Haven't really researched that or anything... Just pondering aloud!)

    Mrs. Dashwood is a sweet mom, isn't she? Perhaps more like Marianne than Elinor, but her love for her girls is clear, and they seem to adore her too! :)

    I love that you compare Mrs. Jennings to an older Emma! Haha, that's an awesome point! ;)

    I agree with Julie; great post! It's fun to hear how you'd picture tea with the group, and I think I'd be the same in having a very difficult time keeping Lucy's revelations from the people closest to me. Thanks so much for participating in this discussion!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though they're so different from each other, Elinor and Marianne make a good sister pair.

      I wonder if it was the working title, too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

      Having fun with the read-along and looking forward to discussing Vol. II! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts