Sense and Sensibility Read-Along | Discussion: Vol. III


It’s our final discussion for the Sense and Sensibility read-along. Today we’re discussing Volume III. How can this read-along already be over? It just doesn’t seem possible. Thanks again to Amber for hosting this fun read-along of Sense and Sensibility!

Favorite Quotes

“Here ceased the rapid flow of her self-reproving spirit; and Elinor, impatient to soothe, though too honest to flatter, gave her instantly that praise and support which her frankness and her contribution so well deserved.”

“Their resemblance in good principles and good sense, in disposition and manner of thinking, would probably have been sufficient to unite them in friendship, without any other attraction; but their being in love with two sisters, and two sisters fond of each other, made that mutual regard inevitable and immediate, which might otherwise have waited the effect of time and judgment.”
Love that Colonel Brandon and Edward became friends!

“Between Barton and Delaford, there was that constant communication, which strong family affection would naturally dictate;- and among the merits and the happiness of Elinor and Marianne, let it not be ranked as the least considerable, that though sisters, and living almost within sight of each other, they could live without disagreement between themselves o producing coolness between their husbands.”
Love that Elinor and Marianne wound up living so close to each other! And that Austen gave a realistic ending in that things weren’t all roses and rainbows between the sisters.


General Impressions

So hard to believe that this read-along is over! I’ve had a great time reading Sense and Sensibility with our group, and all the other Austen novels! (I think the only one I missed reading in our group was Persuasion, which I read on my own last year.)

This volume was jam packed. We went from seeing Edward disowned by his mother (Fanny’s reaction to the news of his engagement to Lucy was priceless!) to his proposal to Elinor. We saw Marianne become gravely ill, miraculously recover, and learn to leave Willoughby in the past. We also see that she’s come to love Colonel Brandon, and that both couple live (mostly) happily ever after.

I’ll admit, Marianne’s sudden affection for Colonel Brandon does live me a bit miffed. While I know that she began to look at him differently as they discussed books, it seems a rather sudden turn of events. However, the ending for Elinor and Edward was no surprise at all; the two were made for each other!

Discussion Questions

1: What did you think of Willoughby’s confession? Did it change your about him in any way?
Had I been in Elinor’s shoes, I think I would have been very vexed if Willoughby had showed up out of the blue, especially in the midst of Marianne’s illness. However, there is something to be said for someone in Willoughby’s position to come and apologize to a girl’s family after he has broken her heart.

2: Which character ended up surprising you the most based on what we knew about them at the beginning and where they ended up by the last page?
It would probably have to be Willoughby. For as aggravating as his character is to me, it was surprising to see him confess and apologize for his actions.

3: Whose “happily ever after” did you most enjoy reading about? (That is, which character’s story brought you the most satisfaction? It doesn’t have to be about romance. )
Elinor’s! She really is a sweet person and tried her best to take of everyone else, and she more than deserved a happy ending.

And that concludes our reading of Sense and Sensibility. I’ve had a great time reading this book and want to thank Amber for hosting the read-along. It’s been such fun!

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. I think I took a different view of Willoughby's confession. I saw it as trying to keep a door open to flirting with Marianne. ha! I didn't think his apology was very sincere, I see him as still trying to flirt with anything in a skirt. ha! I probably read more into it than there was though. And I don't think Marianne's attraction to Colonel Brandon came quickly, it seems I read that it was over the course of 2 years. So instead of an impressionable 17 year old filled with the passions of youth she was the ripe old age of 19 and had experienced heart-break and had matured. ha! Poor girl, but I honestly think that she came to feel for him deeper than she had ever cared for Willoughby. I saw on Amber's blog that you ranked this one as #1 of your Austen reads. I'm glad you liked it, I liked the movie much better than the book. I can't believe that we have finished all of Austen's books! I've enjoyed reading and discussing the books with you! Looking forward to what we will read together next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You chose some great quotes, and I also think it's awesome that Edward and Colonel Brandon became friends and their families lived amiably as neighbors! :) So sweet!

    I do wish Willoughby's confession and apology were more sincere or came across as more concerned about the family's suffering than his own... Alas! I guess it felt to me like he was still being governed by selfishness. But his arrival at the house at all was definitely surprising to me too! And I agree that it was so delightful to see Elinor enjoy a "happily ever after" given all she endured. :)

    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and helping to make these read-alongs so fun and enjoyable!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts