The Cat's Pajamas of Sequels | Review: Ain't Misbehavin' by Jennifer Lamont Leo



by Jennifer Lamont Leo

About The Book

In Jazz Age Chicago, Dot Rodgers sells hats at Marshall Field while struggling to get her singing career off the ground. Independent and feisty, she’s the life of the part. But underneath the glitter, she doesn’t believe she’s worth the love of a good man. Why would a strong, upstanding man want to build a future with a shallow, good-time girl like her?

Small-town businessman Charlie Corrigan carries scars from the Great War. After all he’s been through, he wants nothing more than marry and start a family. But the woman he loves is a flamboyant flapper with no intention of settling down. She’s used to a more glamorous life than he can offer. As his fortunes climb with the stock market, it seems he’s finally going to win her love. But what happens when it all comes crashing down?

My Thoughts

It isn’t always the case that you enjoy the sequel to a novel as much as its predecessor. However, such was the case with Ain’t Misbehavin’ by Jennifer Lamont Leo. I had thoroughly enjoyed You’re The Cream in My Coffee, and was anxious to read the sequel. I enjoyed it every bit as much as I enjoyed the first book in the series. Dot was a fun character, and I loved seeing her change for the better throughout the book. I like the that the author offers the message that while some of the changes taking place within the roaring twenties weren’t so great, there were some changes that Christian women were encouraged to embrace. In a time when it was scandalous for ladies to bob their hair and wear makeup and hem their skirts above the ankle, Leo’s characters find that these practices themselves aren’t evil. And I also appreciate the message of turning to God and finding worth in Christ rather than men and money and material things. Heroine Dot learns all of these things and is able to turn her life around for the better.  And while Charlie may not have been my favorite hero ever, I did like his character and rooted for him and Dot.

Overall, Ain’t Misbehavin’ is wonderful read, every bit as good as its predecessor. If you enjoy historical Christian romance, you’ll definitely want to read this book.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.


Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts