Anne of Green Gables Read-Along Chapters 1-3

Happy Thursday, readers and friends! Today is the first discussion for the Anne of Green Gables Read-Along.

I must admit, reading Anne of Green Gables brings back some lovely memories for me. Watching the movies was something special my grandmother and I used to do together. And random fact: my mother used to work with a woman name Yvonne Rachels, and we always called her Mrs. Rachels. Even though she was nothing like Mrs. Rachel Lynde, (our Mrs. Rachels was reserved and sweet) I always think of her when I read Anne of Green Gables. We used to go to her house a lot, especially in the summer time, and I loved her house. It had all these neat nooks and crannies, and a passageway of sorts that connected two rooms. There certainly was much scope for the imagination in that house. Reading this book brings back the best memories from my childhood, and that has been dearly needed as of late.

I find it interesting that the first few pages have nothing to do with Anne. They're all about Mrs. Rachel and her suspicions, and my does she have suspicions. But it kind of builds the suspension and keeps you guessing just who this Anne is going to be.

I apologize; I only have 4 questions written for this week, whereas I had wanted 5. I've been having technical difficulties (those are a real joy, aren't they?), but I will try to do a better job next week. I hope you all find these questions interesting. Feel free to answer them in the comments, or leave a link to your own post if you write one.

Discussion Questions

1: What was your first impression of Anne Shirley?
She's such a dear. True, she certainly talks a lot, but she's such a sweetheart.

2: Matthew Cuthbert, a shy old bachelor, quickly comes to love the talkative orphan mistakenly reserved for he and his sister. Do you find this to be a likely situation?
It does seem a tad far-fetched, but stranger things have happened! Either way, I'm glad, because I think the relationship between the two is so sweet.

3: L.M. Montgomery is known for her descriptions of nature.  Do you find them to be bothersome?
No. I love her descriptions of beauty. They give me the "queer ache" as Anne would say.

4: Is this your first time reading Anne of Green Gables?
No. I think it may be my third time? Not positive, but it isn't my first.

Thank you all for stopping by for the first discussion day of the Anne of Green Gables read-along! I hope you all have fun with it. I can't wait to read more of your thoughts throughout the month. And don't forget; if you use Twitter, tweet some of your thoughts throughout the week using #AOGGRAL

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Hi Miranda! I hope you get your technical problems solved soon. I hate technical issues. I want things to run smoothly with no bumps in the road :) Here is my post for this weeks discussion: http://myfavoritepastime.blogspot.com/2016/06/anne-of-green-gables-read-along.html Thanks for hosting this read-along Miranda and I look forward to reading what everyone thinks about Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! Looking forward to reading your answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you go Miranda! Tips on how to host an Anne of Green Gables party! http://bookriot.com/2015/07/16/host-anne-green-gables-party/ Wouldn't that be fun if we were all a little close? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so neat, Julie! I would love to do that someday. I've always wanted to try raspberry cordial. :)

      Delete
  4. 1: What was your first impression of Anne Shirley?
    I love her. I love how imaginative and expressive she is.

    2: Matthew Cuthbert, a shy old bachelor, quickly comes to love the talkative orphan mistakenly reserved for he and his sister. Do you find this to be a likely situation?
    I don't know if the chances of shy, old bachelors picking up wrong orphans is high, but I know that the chances of introverts (especially being one myself) loving the talk of extroverts (as long as it is a good, interesting topic; or is pure sweet, friendly chatter, such as Anne's) is true.

    3: L.M. Montgomery is known for her descriptions of nature. Do you find them to be bothersome?
    Absolutely not! I love how they are so vivid in description that it's as if you yourself are riding through the White Way of Delight or walking on Lover's Lane.

    4: Is this your first time reading Anne of Green Gables?
    No, I've read it too many times to count and I'm know I'm about to read it many more times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely answers, Alyssa! I can't wait to read your thoughts on chapters 4-12! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts