Book of the Week #49 "Ain't We Got Fun"


by Emily Chapman and Emily Ann Putzke

In 1936, The Great Depression is hitting families hard.  21-year-old Georgianna Rowland, or Gi, as her family calls her, wants to be on her own and independent. She leaves her prairie upbringing in Kansas to live in New York City, hoping to find a glamorous job that will leave her with enough money to take care of her family. Meanwhile, her younger sister Bess stays at home and the two correspond through letters. At 17, Bess doesn't understand why Gi would want to leave their beloved home, though she herself feels bursts of "wanderlust" from time to time. Though there are differences in the girls' age as well as their living arrangements, the two still experience some of the same things, like first loves, and are heartbroken by the poverty and struggling all around them.

I've always been drawn to books about The Great Depression. It isn't my favorite era, and it isn't a particularly happy period to read about, but there's some essence about it that I'm drawn to. Aside from historical fiction, I would label this book under the coming of age genre. It details those feelings of uncertainty that we all feel as we grow, and the want to get away and experience something new. Though there is a four year age gap between the two sisters, they still find themselves experiencing first loves and find that they can learn from one another. Even though this story deals with The Great Depression, which is a very serious subject, there are touches of humor throughout the story that I feel help round it out and keep it from becoming too heavy, though it does detail some of the sadder parts of the era, as well as some of the trials that the girls must face. I think this would be a good book for teenagers that are interested in reading about The Great Depression, because they could find something to relate to in Gi and Bess.

All in all, I think this is a very nice coming of age tale set in one of America's most trying times.

I give this book a 4 out of 5.



Comments

  1. I've heard good things about this story. Hoping to read it some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good book. I think you'll like it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts