Anne of Green Gables Read-Along Chapters 4-12



Welcome to the second week of the Anne of Green Gables read-along, readers and friends! I hope you have all had fun with this read-along so far. I know I have. I find myself getting so wrapped up in the book that I forget I'm supposed to be writing down discussion questions to post.

During last week's chapters, we were just getting started with the book, and each chapter detailed the surprise that Anne's arrival brought. In this set of chapters, we read as Anne waits to find whether or not she'll be staying at Green Gables, as Marilla decides to let her stay, and as Anne begins to settle in at her new home. Yet Anne being Anne can't accomplish this task without falling into a bit of mischief because of her imagination- and temper. And, Anne finally finds her "bosom friend" in Diana Barry. We learn more of Anne's sad history and read more of her imaginings.

Discussion Questions:

1: In these chapters, we see more of Marilla Cuthbert than in the previous three. What are your impressions of her?
When I first watched the movie as a teenager, I remember being sort of afraid of Marilla. She's so gruff in the beginning, but she does become softer as the story goes. I feel like in the book, L.M. Montgomery gives us peeks into Marilla's heart and that they make you like her more and makes her seem less scary.

2: Mrs. Rachel Lynde voices some strong opinions of Anne, and vice versa. What do you think of Mrs. Rachel's opinions? And what of Anne's reaction
Mrs. Rachel certainly threw out some opinions. She was quite harsh, and I feel like her statements were uncalled for.

3: Upon hearing Mrs. Rachel's opinions, Anne lashes out with some bold statements of her own. What do you think of her reaction?
I feel like Anne's reaction was a bit over-the-top, too. But, I kind of can't blame her, because I'm not so sure I would react differently (I know I'd least be thinking what Anne said) if I were in her shoes.

 4: Anne of Green Gables is L.M. Montgomery's most known work, yet she's written more than 20 other novels, hundreds of poems and just as many essays. Have you ever read any of her other works?
Yes. I've read most of the Anne of Green Gables series, save for the last two. I've also read the Emily of New Moon series (and would definitely recommend it to those who love Anne of Green Gables) as well as Akin to Anne, Jane of Lantern Hill, A Tangled Web and The Blue Castle. Throughout the course of my life, I'd like to read everything L.M. Montgomery has written.

Favorite Quotes

Gossamers glimmered like threads of silver among the trees and the fir boughs and tassels seemed to utter friendly speech. (I feel like this is a beautiful example of L.M. Montgomery's lovely descriptions of nature.)

Gracious Heavenly Father, I thank Thee for the White Way of Delight and the Lake of Shining Waters and Bonny and the Snow Queen. These are all the blessings I can think of just now to thank Thee for. As for the things I want, they're so numerous that it would take a great deal of time to name them all so I will only mention the two most important. Please let me stay at Green Gables and please let me be good-looking when I grow up.

You're a queer girl, Anne. I heard before that you were queer. But I believe I'm going to like you real well.

If you're reading Anne of Green Gables (or have read it in the past) leave your thoughts in the comment section. And don't forget that if you're on Twitter to tweet your thoughts throughout the week using #AOGGRAL See you all next with more discussion about Anne of Green Gables.


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Hi Miranda! Here is my post: http://myfavoritepastime.blogspot.com/2016/06/anne-of-green-gables-read-along_9.html I enjoyed your quotes! Wasn't that scene between Anne and Mrs. Rachel something else?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post. It certainly was!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts