Anne of Green Gables Read-Along



Hello, readers and friends. Can you all believe that this is the last week of the Anne of Green Gables read-along? I can't! It makes me sad, but I am glad we have done this. It's been fun.
These chapters bring about more of that bittersweet feeling as Anne leaves Green Gables for a year to attend Queen's. We read as Anne experiences homesickness, but eventually finds friends and sets her sights on the Avery scholarship. After working hard throughout the year, Anne obtains the scholarship with plans to attend Redman college the following year.  And then the saddest part of the book takes place; Matthew's unexpected passing. Anne is devastated by her loss, as is Marilla, who's sight is getting worse. When Anne learns of Marilla's plans to sell Green Gables, she decides to stay home and help Marilla while teaching in Avonlea and studying what she would have at Redman.

Discussion Questions

Do you think it was wise for Anne to stay home with Marilla rather than go to college after graduating from Queen's?
At first I would almost say no, because she had the scholarship and chances are she wouldn't go to college if she took time off from school. But it was better for her in the long run. Marilla needed her, and Anne got to teach at the Avonlea school, so she gained experience for her future career as a principal. And she wound up going to college down the line, so it didn't turn out to be a bad decision after all. So yes; I think it was wise for Anne to stay home with Marilla.

Do you think Anne and the other characters changed throughout the book? If so, in what ways?
I think Anne changed a little bit, but not too much. She's still imaginative and whimsical, but she's more mature toward the end of the book. She's a little quieter, and thinks more before she speaks and doesn't let her temper fly like she once did. I think Marilla changed more than anyone. Even though she still holds a tough veneer, she's much softer and realizes how much she loves Anne.

If this was your second (or third, fourth, etc...) time reading Anne of Green Gables, what do you think about the book now? Was it the same as you remembered it to be?
It really wasn't too different than I remembered it to be. I think one thing I notice more in Montgomery's writing now is her sense of humor. It's very subtle and a bit dry, but it's definitely there. You don't notice it's there until you find yourself laughing.

Favorite Quotes

It's nicer to think dear, pretty thoughts and keep them in one's heart like treasures.

But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom about it. (This quote reminds me of my friend Kara. :) )

"God is in His heaven," whispered Anne. "All's right with the world."

Thank you all so much for participating in this read-along. It was a lot of fun and I loved reading your thoughts.

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for hosting this read-along Miranda. I enjoyed it very much! Here is my last post: http://myfavoritepastime.blogspot.com/2016/06/anne-of-green-gables-read-along-final.html I'll look forward to any future read-alongs! I picked the last 2 quotes as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading along, Julie! It was fun reading your thoughts on Anne of Green Gables. Looking forward to the next read-along! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts