Top Ten Tuesday: My Top Ten Books of 2016



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.
              
With only four days left of 2016, a lot of us bookworms are looking back on what we read this year. I read a decent amount of classics, quite a few historical novels, with some contemporary and sci-fi sprinkled in for good measure. I also re-read a few of my old favorites for read-alongs, but I didn’t include them in this list since I’d previously read them. Today my list is clearly dominated by classics and historical fiction, because those are my two favorite genres. There is only one book on this list that takes place post mid-20th century.



10: Cress by Marissa Meyer
I read the majority of The Lunar Chronicles for the first time this year, and Cress was my favorite.



9: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This was definitely a different sort of classic.



8: A Tangled Web by L.M. Montgomery
This wasn’t my all-time favorite book by L.M. Montgomery, but I still really liked it. It’s a prime example of how great she was at writing about different types of people. Her books are magical.



7: Bleeding Heart by Amber Stokes
I love all of Amber’s novels, and this is one of my favorites from her. Her historical novels have shown me another side of Westerns that didn’t I realize existed. It isn’t all about cowboys and saloon girls; there are people from other countries and people doing all sorts of things. And I liked Sally, even though she had dubious past. She realized that she needed to change, and she did.



6: The Ringmaster's Wife by Kristy Cambron
This was such a good book! You really don’t see a ton of books that center around circuses, and that just adds to the charm of this book. I just love it.



5: The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan
I really loved this book. It’s so nice to see strong women in Christian fiction, and I love Jem and Merinda. They’re such good friends and balance each other out.



4: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel PieSociety by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows
This book was so good. Of course it had some really sad stories, as all novels set during WWII do, but looking at the larger picture; it’s really good.



3: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
This year, I finally got around to reading Jane Eyre. It was definitely worth the wait; a new favorite of mine.



2: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
I haven’t read all of Jane Austen’s novels yet, but this one has been my favorite so far. I really like seeing the relationship between Elinor and Marianne; how they’re different, and quarrel sometimes, but they still love each other and are there for one another.



1: The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
You know how you sometimes read a book that you love so much, and it reminds you of why you love to read in the first place? L.M. Montgomery’s books tend to have that effect on me. She’s simply my favorite. I love her quirky characters and how real they seem. Valancy is quite different from Montgomery’s other heroines. She starts out as a very meek woman, only existing to do what her family tells her to do. But after some life altering news, she finds herself and really starts living life.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts