First Line Fridays: Doctor Thorne

First Line Fridays is a weekly feature hosted by Hoarding Books.

Hey readers and friends, and happy Friday! It’s time for another First Line Fridays. This week, I’m featuring the first line of the classic novel Doctor Thorne.

Before the reader is introduced to the modest country medical practitioner who is to be the chief personage of the following tale, it will be well that he should be made acquainted with some particulars as to the locality in which, and the neighbours among whom, our doctor followed his profession.


Not a terribly noteworthy first line, is it? I’ve really enjoyed certain parts of this book, but some parts have been sort of dry. I wanted to read it because I loved the mini-series Julian Fellowes based on the book. 

So what's the first line of your current read?

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Happy Friday!

    Today I am showcasing the first line from Michelle Griep's newest novel, The Innkeeper's Daughter. I am loving the book. It is a page turner, and the hero is wonderful. I am just starting chapter 18, so I will share the first line from that chapter here:

    "Johanna opened the door to chaos, then stood there, jaw agape."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Michelle's Christmas book 12 Days at Bleakly Manor. She's a good writer and I would love to read more of her books! Glad to hear you are enjoying her latest book, Nichole! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love the language of that era. Very much like Jane Austen. Eloquent. Happy Friday! The book I'm sharing on my blog is an old one: The Knight and the Dove by Lori Wick. Here, I will share Love on the Mend by Karen Witemeyer, "Peace and quiet. That's all he sought." Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Annelise. The language of the Victorian era is very eloquent. And that is an interesting first line you shared. Thanks for visiting the blog! :-)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the mini-series....don't know if I would make it through the book though, not gonna lie haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't the mini-series great!? Thanks for stopping by, Rachel! :-)

      Delete
  4. I recently bought a copy of Trollop's Barchester Towers. I'm hoping to enjoy him. I’m sharing from Karen Barnett’s The Road to Paradise on my blog today, so here I’ll share the first line from another book I hope to read soon, The Alliance by Jolina Petersheim:

    “Buffered by grassland, the collision is strangely quiet.”

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Barchester Tower, Yvette. I have it on my Kindle and would like to read it someday. Very interesting line you shared! Thanks for stopping by today! :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the Victorians era of literature, but I don't believe I have read anything by Anthony Trollope. I will definitely have to pick up this book. Thanks for the recommendation! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good book. I'm glad you found a new book to read here on my blog. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts