Top Ten Tuesday: Taken By Surprise




Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

Today’s Topic: Books That Surprised Me

Sometimes books surprise us. This can either be a good thing, or a bad thing. From time to time, the latter does happen, and it is a disappointment. But then there are the books that surprise us in a good way and that more than makes up for the bad surprises. Today I’m listing ten such books; a few disappointments, but more pleasant surprises.



10: Fairest
I had really enjoyed The Lunar Chronicles when I first began reading them. But when I got to the “bonus novella” all about the series’ villain, Queen Levana, it was terrible! I just did not like this book at all.



*Sighs dismally* I had such high hopes for this novel. A woman visiting an English manor house and spending her days dressed in period clothing? How could you go wrong with that? Alas, this novel just did not live up to my expectations. A novel with a similar plot that I did enjoy was The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay.



This book seemed to be right up my alley, but the rivalry between the two sisters made the book unenjoyable for me.



I’ll admit that the cover drew me to this little novella. And since it was free I thought I’d give it a go. I enjoyed it so much more than I ever expected to. Jen Turano’s writing is so different from most historical writers in the best way. It’s funny and sweet and just delightful.



Before the Herringford and Watts Mysteries, I hadn’t read any mysteries. I gave the series a try because I love the Edwardian era and strong female protagonists. I was totally surprised to find how much I not only enjoyed reading this particular series, but cozy mysteries as well.



5: Lilies in Moonlight
This was another book whose cover called out to me. It’s so fun! But the story inside is even more fun and charming. I was totally blown away by how much I loved this roaring tale. I definitely want to re-read this book someday



I had really looked forward to reading this book for months, because it takes place during one of my favorite periods in history. But I had not expected to love it as much as I did. I had a hard time putting this one down and it soon became a favorite.



I can remember being very excited to read this book when it came out two years ago. After all, it takes place during one of my favorite time periods and I love the circus theme. However, I had not anticipated loving this book as much I did, nor did I expect its author to become one of my favorites, as she most certainly has.



I hadn’t been sure that I would enjoy this classic novel when I started reading it. In the end, I absolutely loved it and now consider it one of my favorite books.



Even though it’s been a year since I read this novel, I remember how much I enjoyed it. I was anxious to read it, but I hadn’t expected to enjoy nearly as much as I did. I couldn’t put it down and it’s a book that has stuck with me ever since. It’s definitely one of my all-time favorite books.

Now it’s your turn. I’d love to hear about the books that surprised you. Thanks for reading!

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. The Ringmaster's Wife sounds like a good read. I will be adding it to my ever growing reading wishlist.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-surprised-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing book. I highly recommend it! Thanks for stopping by the blog today! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts