14 Days of Halloween- The Nightmare Before Christmas


The Nightmare Before Christmas
"Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it."

In a world where each town has its own holiday, Jack Skellington is the king of Halloweentown, known amongst its people as the Pumpkin King. On yet another well planned and perfectly executed October 31st, Jack is feeling awfully tired of the same old thing, year after year. During a walk through the woods, he stumbles upon a group of trees painted with different symbols. He decides to go through the one with a decorated tree painted upon it, entering Christmas Land. Jack is amazed at the splendor of Christmas Land, with its snow, pleasant sights, sounds and smells and most of all its good cheer. He decides that he must bring Christmas to Halloweentown, though that proves to be no easy feat.

Rating: PG
Cast:
Jack-  Chris Sarandon (Danny Elfman sings for Jack)
Sally, Shock- Catherine O'Hara
Lock- Paul Reubens
Mayor of Halloweentown- Glenn Shadix
Santa Claus- Ed Ivory
Oogie Boogie- Ken Page

There's quite a bit of debate as to whether or not The Nightmare Before Christmas should be watched during the Halloween or Christmas season. It is true that the film largely deals with Christmas and Halloween Town's adaptation of the holiday. The word Christmas is even in the title, yet despite it all, there are still lots of elements of Halloween in the film. The beginning of the film takes place during Halloween and there's just a general feeling of the holiday throughout. Even their Christmas turns out looking more like Halloween. My point is, I believe the movie is suitable for both seasons and I watch it during both. I always watch it on October, 27th because that's my birthday, as well as a few days before Christmas.

The Nightmare Before Christmas has been my favorite movie for a long time. I own the movie, and the soundtrack as well as a few other knick knacks and have made decorations for both Halloween and Christmas based on the film. When I was sixteen I dressed as Sally for Halloween, who is my favorite movie character ever. It's just a special movie to me. It's one that I will watch time and time again and never tire of.

 All in all, I love this movie. I love the atmosphere, the imagery, the storyline, the characters. It all speaks to my quirky side and just makes me feel good when I watch it.


I give The Nightmare Before Christmas a 5 out of 5.

Comments

Popular Posts