Marketing and Selling Self-Published Novels


Self-publishing might not offer the larger distribution opportunities that traditional publishing offers, yet that doesn't mean that you can't build a strong fan base or sell tons of books.

There are so many ways to market your self-published book. Social media is a great platform on which to promote your book. Tweet about your book. Create an author fan page and write posts about it on Facebook. Pin pictures of it on Pinterest. Post photos of it on Instagram. List it on Goodreads. Blog about it. When you do all these things, post little taglines that sum up the book; write about it in a way that really peaks the interest of potential readers. And don't forget to post links to a place where readers can purchase your book.

Another great way to sell your book is to distribute it locally. I usually order several copies and talk to local businesses about placing them in their shops. You can usually find at least a few shops that are more than happy to do so, especially if you agree on a price that allows them to make a profit. Putting an ad in your local newspaper is also a good idea. Write an ad that talks about your book and also includes information on where to buy. It's also a good idea to mention that you're a local author as that peaks the interest of many people.  Local events are also good outlets to sell books. For instance, the first Saturday of each month, the town I live in has what they call "Trade Days" where they block off Main Street and allow patrons to set up booths and sell stuff. I hold book signings at Trade Days. I set up a table on which I display my books with a sign that states I'm a local author and that I'm holding a book signing. It catches the eyes of passersby and they'll stop and talk to me, sometimes buying a book.

If I could go back and do one thing differently, I would definitely start building an audience before I published my first book. There were things I should have done before I published my first book. It's a good idea to start connecting with other writers and bloggers on social media before you publish your book. Start a blog and post about your progress. Talk to other writers and bloggers that have similar interests as you. In this you are building an audience.

You may not become a millionaire with self-publishing, but if you work at it and put in your best effort, things will start to happen eventually.
I hope you've enjoyed reading about self-publishing with me. I may not be expert, but I hope I cleared some things up for you and helped you see things in a different light. Thank you for reading.

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

Popular Posts