Book of the Week #18- Akin To Anne


Akin To Anne
by L.M. Montgomery
Akin to Anne is a charming collection of short stories. It contains stories about orphans in different stages of life, most coming from tragic backgrounds, yet all ending happily.

L.M. Montgomery is most famous for her beloved series Anne of Green Gables about orphan Anne Shirley. Yet many don't know that she wrote 20 novels, 530 short stories, 500poems and 30 essays. I've barely made a dent in that sum, though what I have read has been lovely. This past February on a trip to the library to stock up for cold weather reading, I picked this up, thinking it was a novel that would include Anne somewhere in the story. Yet I was surprised to find that Anne is not in this book, but that it is a collection of short stories about other orphans.

I enjoyed this collection. Almost all of the stories are very endearing with the splendidness of L.M. Montgomery's writing. While it doesn't contain the magic that the Anne series holds, I think most other Green Gables fans would enjoy it as well.

I give this book a 4 out of 5.

Comments

Popular Posts