Book of The Week #21 "Blue Like Jazz"

by Donald Miller

"I used to not like jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself...... I used to not like God because God doesn't resolve, but that was before any of this happened."

Blue Like Jazz is a non-fiction, memoir style book on Christianity from a non-religious perspective. It is comprised of stories about Donald Miller's life as he grew up in Texas, moving cross country at the age 21 to Portland, Oregon all the while searching for what true Christianity is really like. After growing up in the church, becoming a youth pastor who didn't feel like he should be at all, Donald wonders what it's really like to be a Christian, because he doesn't think he's really experienced it. He looks for God everywhere he goes and finds answers to his questions from almost every person he meets, be they Christian or not.

I loved this book. I really did. I enjoyed it even more than I had expected to and I had pretty high expectations. It's like poetry meets nonfiction and that's a wonderful thing. I just really like the Donald Write's; he has a lot of talent.

The book is one of the more honest books about Christianity I've read. A lot of people would think it's "edgy" for a Christian book, and they're right; it is. It doesn't sugar coat or gloss over things, it tells you pretty much like it is. Miller is open and honest about many of the thoughts and feelings he has had throughout his life and while I may not agree with all of his views and opinions, I appreciate his openness and honesty.

I think every human being should read this book. They really should, because it could benefit every human being on this earth. It covers just about every aspect of life in an honest, non-judgmental way. I really feel like everyone could get something out of reading this book.

All in all, Blue Like Jazz is a beautiful book about something that when practiced in its intended manner, is a beautiful thing. I would recommend it to anyone on the planet.


I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

Comments

Popular Posts