Book of The Week #22 "Amy Inspired"


by Bethany Pierce
Amy Inspired is the second novel by author Bethany Pierce. It's the story of 29-year-old Amy Gallagher who is a creative writing/English lit professor at a college in the fictional Copenhagen, Ohio. She's an aspiring author who keeps receiving rejection letters from publishers and faces serious writer's block, while her roommate Zoe continues to type away with seemingly no issues. Amy's life feels like it's going nowhere fast as she continues at the job she took to just get by with while everyone around her seems to be moving forward. Then Zoe's friend Eli's apartment is taken over by bedbugs. Zoe, being the humanitarian she is, offers her and Amy's garage apartment as a refuge. Amy isn't thrilled at all with this, until Eli actually arrives at the apartment...

I had originally posted a rather confusing, not-so-stellar review of this book earlier in the year. Yet I reread the book a few months ago and I kind of fell in love with it. I suppose it's just one of those books that need a closer read for one to truly enjoy it. It gets better with time. I loved it so much in fact that I bought my own copy from abebooks.com, knowing full well I could rent it anytime I wanted at the library. I just really wanted my own copy for my bookshelf at home. If that doesn't say love, I don't know what does.

I think part of the reason I felt conflicted about Amy Inspired after my first reading it was the fact that it deals with a woman struggling to become a published author and maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to read that at the time. But this time it wasn't so much soul draining as it was relatable, and I didn't freak myself out while reading it. And when you aren't focusing solely on that, then notice all these golden nuggets of wonderful words. Bethany Pierce really has a way with words and I'm kind of jealous.

Amy Gallagher is the sort of person that I would like to be friends with. She's smart, witty, loves good books and is honest. She doesn't put up a show, there are no smoke and mirrors. I wish I could find the real life Amy Gallagher and become friends with her and that to me is a sign of a good book.

The romance is this book is definitely there, but not over powering. I like Amy and Eli as a couple; they seem to go together and balance each other out. And the faith elements are there, though not in-your-face.


Amy Inspired is a book that I felt conflicted about upon first reading it, yet after my second read, it became one of my favorites. I would recommend this book to anyone.

I give this book a 5 out 5.

Comments

Popular Posts