Top Ten Tuesday: My Top Ten Favorite Movies of All-Time



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

Today, The Broke and The Bookish have asked us to list our top ten movies of all time. I have sort of eclectic taste, and so there's a wide variety listed here. This is a pretty long post, so without further ado; my top ten favorite movies.



10: Blast From the Past
In the 1960s, Cal Tech physics professor (Christopher Walken) built an underground bomb shelter in his backyard, fearing Armageddon was near. He and his wife (Sissy Spesick) have raised their son in the bomb shelter, planning to return to the service in thirty years to see if there were any other survivors. Now, in the 1990s, they've sent their son Adam (Brendan Frazier) above ground to replenish their supplies, and find a nice girl if he'd like; preferably from Pasadena. When he meets Eve (Alisha Silverstone) he thinks she could be the one, but she isn't sure about the best-behaved gentleman she's ever met with a mysterious past.
This movie is fun. It's funny and lighthearted.



9: Benny and Joon
Since their parents died, Benny (Aidan Quinn) has been responsible for his sister Joon (Mary Stuart Masterson), who suffers from mental illness. He's hired numerous house sitters to stay with Joon while he is at work, but she can never get along with them for very long. When Joon loses a poker game to one of Benny's friends, they must bring Sam (Johnny Depp) home. Sam is quirky, but talented, and Benny leaves him in charge of Joon, whom falls in love with their new house guest. After learning of their relationship, Benny isn't as fond of Sam as he once was.
This movie is quirky and sweet. I really like it.



8: Pride and Prejudice (2005 version)
I know a lot of people have their beefs with this movie, and I get it. I still haven't watched the Colin Firth miniseries. One day I'd like to, though. But I love this movie because it's beautiful.



7: Anne of Green Gables
I've loved this movie since I was a teenager watching it with my grandmother. It just brings back a lot of good memories.



6: What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Ever since his father committed suicide, Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp) has had to take care of his family, which includes his younger brother Arnie (Leonardo DiCaprio) who suffers from mental illness, Mama, who hasn't stopped eating or left the house since Gilbert's dad passed away, and his two sisters. At 24, Gilbert is still working at the mom-and-pop grocery store he got a job at when he was 17, and is still in a secret relationship with the married woman he's been with for as long. Yet when Becky (Juliet Lewis) comes to town, he finds himself drawn to her and her carefree ways.
This is a pretty heavy movie. The Grape family has experienced a lot of sadness, and everyone seems stuck. The ending is extremely sad, but there is hope at the end, too.



5: Beetlejuice
Newly married Barbra (Geena Davis) and Adam (Alec Baldwin) decide to go on vacation. When they make a quick trip to town to get supplies, disaster strikes as a stray dog runs in their path and they wind up in a fatal car accident. Now they've returned to their home as ghosts, only to find that it is on the market. A semi-dysfunctional family from New York purchases the home, the husband hoping for a slower pace, while the wife (Catherine O'Hara) fights it tooth and nail. Teenage Lydia (Winonna Ryder) is a quirky girl who feels misunderstood. When the family makes major changes to Barbra and Adam's beloved farm home in the country, the ghosts try to scare them away. Lydia is the only one who can see them. She comes to love the couple, and they adore her, but there's an outlandish poltergeist (Michael Keaten) who wants to ruin everyone's plans.
This is just a fun movie. It has some creepy aspects, but it isn't scary. It's just fun. But don't say the title three times.



4: Alice Through The Looking Glass
Grown up Alice has been spending her time sailing the seas as a voyager, leading a crew on her father's ship, The Wonder. On a break, she comes home to spend time with her mother, only to find that her mother is selling The Wonder to Haymitch, who is still unhappy that Alice turned down his marriage proposal. In her anger and confusion, Alice steps through the looking glass and into Wonderland, where all her old friends are. Yet once she's there, she finds that her dear friend, The Mad Hatter, isn't acting himself. He tells her that he's found the first hat he ever made, and that it has lead him to believe that his family, which he had thought to be dead, is still alive. Alice tells him that she doesn't think that could be possible, which angers The Mad Hatter, whom claims she is not the real Alice. To make amends, Alice goes to house of Time, in hopes that she can travel back time and find The Mad Hatter's family.
I love this movie. I love the look of the movie, it has a great story line, and I love how Tim Burton has portrayed Alice as a strong character.



3: Corpse Bride
In the Victorian era, Victor's (Johnny Depp) parents arrange a married between him and Victoria (Emily Watson). When the day of the rehearsal dinner arrives, Victor is expectedly quite nervous, having never met Victoria. As they practice their vows, Victor can't seem to get them straight. That night, he takes a walk through the woods to practice. Placing the ring on what he thinks is an innocent looking twig, a woman named Emily (Helena Bonham Carter) rises from the earth and says "I Do." Victor follows Emily into the Underworld and finds himself in a colorful and lively place.
Another fun film from Tim Burton. I think this is one of his more lighthearted movies. The music is fun and lively and there isn't a really sad storyline. There are touches of melancholy throughout, but nothing heartbreaking. It's definitely a good one.



2: Edward Scissorhands
When The Inventor (Vincent Price) decided to bring a human to life, he didn't know that he would die before completing his work. Now Edward (Johnny Depp) has to live with scissors for hands, alone in the dark castle atop the hill. When Avon lady Peg goes into the castle in search of someone to sell cosmetics to, she finds Edward all alone. Full of pity, Peg takes Edward to her home in the pastel suburban neighborhood at the foot of the hill. Everyone finds themselves endeared to Edward and his quirks, particularly Peg's daughter Kim (Winonna Ryder). Yet when a woman from the neighborhood doesn't get what she wants from Edward, things become disastrous.
This movie never fails to make me laugh and cry. I love the quirkiness of this film, but the ending makes me so sad. It's probably the saddest of Tim Burton's movies. But it is so good.



1: The Nightmare Before Christmas
In another world, each holiday has its own separate town. Each town works year round to produce the best production for their respective holidays. Jack Skellington is the king of Halloween Town, but he's beginning to forget why he loves Halloween. After yet another celebration, he wanders into the woods where he finds the portals to each holiday's town. Going through the door that is decorated with a colorful tree, he stumbles into Christmas Town, where he's enchanted by the snow, lights, delicious smells, and joy that fills the town. As he leaves Christmas Town, he decides to bring Christmas to Halloween Town. His friend Sally (Catherine O'Hara) warns him against it, but he's determined to bring a joyous Christmas to the citizens of Halloween Town.
This is my favorite movie of all time. I just love the look of it, the characters, and the story line. It's so fun.

Thank you all for stopping by today! What are your favorite movies of all time?

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. I love watching The Nightmare Before Christmas every year - it's one of my favourite holiday movies, perfect for when you need a bit of a break from the cutesy Christmas movies and want something a bit unique and a bit strange, but still completely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally see where you're coming from; The Nightmare Before Christmas is a nice break from the traditional Christmas movies shown every year. So much fun. Thanks for reading, Jane!

      Delete
  2. Ah, you must be a Johnny Depp fan too. I LOVE Benny and Joon! I haven't seen it in years, though. I also love Edward Scissorshands and appreciated the story line of What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but found it a bit depressing.
    I see you are an historical fiction writer. I am working on my first historical romantic fiction novel.
    You can view my TTT at: https://kellyfbarr.com/2016/11/15/top-ten-tuesday-37/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors. I can see where you're coming from; What's Eating Gilbert Grape is such a sad movie, but very poignant as well.

      That's awesome that you're working on your first historical! I wish you lots of luck with it. And thank you so much for following A Real Writer's Life, Kelly. It means the world to me.

      Delete
  3. Such a great pick of movies here!!! You have some movies on here that I really love - Anne of Green Gables, Edward Scissorhands, Corpse Bride and Beetlejuice. I have't seen Blast from the Past in years but I remember loving that film, a rewatch is needed. I picked to do my favourite movies for this movie freebie week, you can check out my post here if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the list, Charnell! Those movies a lot of fun. Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  4. Blast from the Past was really good. I liked watching this movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pride and Prejudice. *Swoon* My favorite! Of course 'Anne' is another classic and I thought 'Alice' was really very good. Naturally I think Burton is perfect to direct them. :)

    One of these days I should rent Blast from the Past because I have looked at it before, and who doesn't love a fun 90s flick now and again!? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those movies never get old! And Tim Burton is the perfect person to direct such imaginative tales. Blast From the Past is such a sweet and funny film; definitely worth checking out! Thanks for reading, Rissi!

      Delete
  6. Wow Miranda! You definitely are eclectic in your movie watching. I have seen a few of those choices. Blast From the Past was fun! Loved Beetlejuice! Anne is just full of wonderfulness! And yes, I'm one of those that has a "beef" with the 2005 version of P&P. Although it is good and I do like the actors in it. My fav of course is the Colin Firth miniseries. Yes, it is a must watch! Some of my favorite movies would include: The Sound of Music, the P&P that I mentioned, Undercover Blues, Armageddon, Lethal Weapons, Die Hards...I'm a disaster/action/shoot-em-up fan! haha! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yep, I like a pretty good variety. I definitely need to watch the P&P mini series sometime. You have good taste, Julie! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts