A Delightful English Mystery | Anon, Sir, Anon by Rachel Heffington



by Rachel Heffington

About The Book

The 12:55 out of Darlington brought more than Orville Farnham’s niece; murder was passenger.

In coming to Whistlecreig, Genevieve Langley expected to find an ailing uncle in need of gentle care. In reality, her charge is a cantankerous Shakespearean actor with a penchant for fencing and an affinity for placing impossible bets. When a body shows up in a field near Whistlecreig Manor and Vivi is the only one to recognize the victim, she is unceremoniously baptized into the art of crime-solving: a field in which first impressions are seldom lasting and personal interest knocks at the front door.

Set against the russet backdrop of a Northamptonshire fog, Anon, Sir, Anon cuts a cozy path into a chilling crime. 

My Thoughts

Anon, Sir, Anon is a delightful English mystery. I love the setting of the book and I loved Vivi and Farnham. Both were endearing characters. While they were somewhat thrown together by their mutual meddlesome family, they soon come to love and appreciate one another. The style of writing is another plus for this book. Heffington beautifully weaves in historical references throughout the novel, and her 1930s British dialogue is nearly flawless. The witty conversations make for a quick read that you won’t want to end. I must admit that I’m not up on all the Shakespeare references, though this book makes me want to read his works even more than I previously did. The mystery kept me guessing and I was shocked by the outcome.

Clearly, I’m a fan of Anon, Sir, Anon. If you love historical mysteries, definitely give this one a try. I must needs more Vivi and Farnham!


I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

Popular Posts