Mansfield Park Read-Along Discussion #1



Hey readers and friends! Today I present you with my contribution the first discussion of the Mansfield Park Read-Along, hosted by Amber.

General Impressions

I have to admit, this one is starting out a little slow for me. I don’t dislike the book at all, it just doesn’t catch my attention quite the way some of Austen’s other novels do. I do like Fanny. She is quiet and we haven’t heard a ton from her so far, but according to what we have heard, she seems sweet. The Bertrams on the other hand…. Lordy! They’re something else. I think Edmund seems all right. He’s not a bad sort, but not my favorite hero. I really don’t care for Maria or Julia. They are rather spoiled. Their mother and father are awful. And the Crawfords. Henry does annoy me, as does Mary. They certainly think a lot of themselves!

Discussion Questions

Would you consider the Bertram family taking Fanny to be a kindness in the long run? If so, why? If not, could it have been a kindness if they approached things differently?
I’m sort of torn on this question. I almost think that perhaps it was kind for them to take Fanny in. I can remember from the first time I read this novel that the Price home is not a happy one. Yet the Bertrams are not a very happy family, either.

Imagine you had joined the group on their Sotherton trip which part of the trip would you have most enjoyed? Would we find you wondering the halls or meandering through the wilderness?
Probably a bit of both. It seems like a neat place. I would want to see the inside of the house as well as the grounds surrounding it.

Thanks for stopping by today! I’m looking forward to reading the rest of Mansfield Park and our future discussions.


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for participating in the start of our discussion, Miranda! There definitely seems to be a lot to view at Sotherton...and a lot to enjoy both indoors and out. :) And yep, this cast of characters hasn't made themselves all that likable!

    Excited to be reading another Jane Austen novel together!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting, Amber! I am enjoying the read-along, even if I haven't been too vocal about it on Twitter. ;-) I'm looking forward to next week, because I do think there will be more to discuss!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, this one is starting out a bit slow and the characters are not shining like other Austen novels. I too don't dislike it, it just is not a favorite. BUT, I do enjoy discussing it with everyone and finding out their thoughts as well. I enjoyed your post! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Julie? It's not a bad book, but doesn't compare to books like Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility! I'm glad you enjoyed my post! I'm coming over to read yours now! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts