Mansfield Park Read-Along Discussion #3



Hi readers and friends! It’s the third week of the Mansfield Park Read-Along. Amber has written some great questions for us, and I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts on this week’s chapters.

Favorite Quotes

“Sir Thomas, indeed was, by this time, not very far from classing Mrs. Norris as one of those well-meaning people who are always doing mistaken and very disagreeable things.”

General Impressions

Henry Crawford is still a snake. And I’m really getting frustrated that no one except for Fanny is able to see it. I know that he’s charming and puts on a good show, but I would think that they would get some inkling that he’s bad news. Grr! I’m just so ready for him to hit the road and stop playing with Fanny’s heart. If nothing else, I’m glad that Edmund sees that Fanny is upset by Henry Crawford’s plans, even though he doesn’t know the reason why. And I must say; I am so glad that Fanny has stood her ground. Everyone has been putting pressure on her to accept Henry’s proposal, questioning why she wouldn’t want to. But she hasn’t swayed, and I am glad of that.

Discussion Questions

1: Which character do you feel most strongly about at this point- in either a good or disappointing way? What makes that character especially stand out to you?
Henry Crawford, of course! He’s just so sneaky. He knows had to really put on the charm and distract people from his devious plans.

2: If you were in attendance at the ball, how would you occupy your time? Would you dance the night away, or would you prefer observation and conversation?
I would definitely prefer observation and conversation. I am not a dancer. Haha! I would probably be the person in the corner reading a book (or thinking about reading if I weren’t allowed to have one with me).

3: What advice would you give Fanny in handling Mr. Crawford’s pursuit?
Be very careful. We’ve seen what he’s done to Maria and Julia, and so Fanny needs to be very careful around him.

I can’t believe that we’re starting the final week of the Mansfield Park Read-Along. This book might have started out slow, but it’s certainly picked! I’m excited to see how the book ends and discussing it all with you guys.


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! Henry Crawford is a snake! But I can't despise him as much as I do Mrs. Norris! ha! Funny how different characters irritate us in different ways. I was so happy to see the Crawford's leave. Now if they just stay gone! It is so frustrating that nobody takes into account that Fanny doesn't love him! All they care about is how much money he has and how well settled she'll be. I definitely would not have wanted to live in those days where money was put above happiness. I mean look at Maria! She went into that marriage knowing she was going to be miserable! Crazy! I'm excited that we are coming to the last chapters of the book, but a bit sad that our discussions will then be over. Already looking forward to the next Read-Along with y'all! Yes! I'd definitely be in a corner of the dance hall observing or wishing for a book! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it great to see the line stating they had left? LOL! I hate to be that way, but they were just so mean! So glad you enjoyed reading this book in our group because I did too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Great quote about Mrs. Norris, LOL!

    And yes, it's super frustrating seeing how everyone else is blinded by Mr. Crawford, and poor Fanny has to fight him off alone! She desperately needs an ally.

    Enjoyed reading your responses to the questions. :) Readers unite!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quote about Mrs. Norris makes me laugh because it's so spot on! LOL! I'm so glad that they all eventually came to see what a cad Mr. Crawford is so that they would leave Fanny alone about marrying him. I had so much fun with this read-along, Amber!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts