A Trip To Regency England | Review: The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay

by Katherine Reay

About The Book
Mary Davies finds safety in her ordered and productive life. Working as an engineer, she genuinely enjoys her job and her colleagues—particularly a certain adorable and intelligent consultant. But something is missing. When Mary’s estranged childhood friend, Isabel Dwyer offers her a two-week stay in a gorgeous manor house in England, she reluctantly agrees in hopes that the holiday will shake up her quiet life in just the right ways.
But Mary gets more than she bargained for when Isabel loses her memory and fully believes she lives in Jane Austen’s Bath. While Isabel rests and delights in the leisure of a Regency lady, attended by other costume-clad guests, Mary uncovers startling truths about their shared past, who Isabel was, who she seems to be, and the man who now stands between them.
Outings are undertaken, misunderstandings arise, and dancing ensues as this company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation, work out their lives and hearts.

My Thoughts

Like Reay’s other novels, I did enjoy The Austen Escape. I love seeing the classics appreciated and the references to Austen’s novels. And the visit to an English manor house, wearing the costumes and pretending that it’s the early 19th century…. Gotta admit, it sounds pretty fun!

Mary was probably among my favorite Reay heroines. I think she was a more down to earth character. Isabel was a different story. While at times I did feel sorry for her, she was a very irritating character. Yet one thing I think a lot of people would relate to Isabel on is the want to “escape”. While many of us don’t take it as far as she did, I think most of us do want to escape reality when things get too hard.

In the book there was a reference to Northanger Abbey and the thought that Catherine Morland seemed overshadowed throughout parts of the book, yet became the heroine of her own story by the end. I think it was the same for Mary. At times, it seemed like Isabel was taking over the story, though as the book came to an end, Mary took charge, started making her own decisions, and became a heroine.

One thing that I do wish were different about this book is how seldom God is mentioned. While I don’t like authors that beat you over the head with scripture, I do wish that faith, prayer and God was mentioned more in this book, especially since it is marketed as Christian fiction and is published by Thomas Nelson.

All in all, I thought The Austen Escape was a good book. Fans of contemporary fiction that appreciate the classics will definitely enjoy this novel.


I give this book 4 out 5 stars.

Comments

Popular Posts