Mansfield Park Read-Along Week #2



It’s the second week of the Mansfield Park Read-Along, hosted by Amber. This week, things have really started to pick up. Lots of things have taken place and we’ve gotten to know the characters better. I’m excited to discuss these chapters, so let’s get to it!

Favorite Quotes

“Henry Crawford had destroyed her happiness, but he should not know that he had done it; he should not destroy her appearance, her prosperity, too.”

“And how much more their tenderhearted cousin who wandered about the house and thought of them, and felt for them, with a degree of affectionate regret which they had never done much to deserve.”

General Impressions

Henry Crawford is evil. Seriously, he’s definitely in the ranks of John Thorpe, Whickham, and Willoughby. Actually, he may be worse. Grr! He is just awful. Okay, enough about him. I’m really starting to love Fanny and can see why Jane Austen was so endeared to her. She’s nice and sweet and I just feel so sorry for her being stuck with such self-centered people. Edmund still has me conflicted. At times he seems like a nice guy and he does look out for Fanny, but other times I want to shake him because of this thing with Miss Crawford. Like, are you blind, Edmund!?

It is nice to see Fanny reunited with her brother. They seem to get along well, and it’s good for them to have to visit each other.

Discussion Questions

1: If you were one of Maria’s parents, what might you have said to her before her wedding?
This is a tough question. On one hand, the further she is from Mr. Crawford, the better. But on the other hand, if she doesn’t love Mr. Rushworth, she’s just going to make everyone miserable.

2: What are your thoughts on the friendship between Fanny and Miss Crawford? What would you recommend to improve their relationship?
I think that Miss Crawford is only interested in befriending Fanny because she’s bored. And I think Fanny only “befriends” Miss Crawford to be nice. If I were meeting these two in person, I would warn Fanny to be careful with Miss Crawford, and I would tell Miss Crawford to adjust her attitude.

3: Consider Mr. Crawford’s sudden interest in Fanny or Edmund’s admiration of Miss Crawford. What makes them so attractive to these guys? What would you consider to be valid reasons for falling in love?
Well, in my attempt to put this as delicately as possible, I think Mr. Crawford is attracted to every woman, no matter what, and simply wants to them to fall at his feet wherever he goes. As for explaining why Edmund is attracted to Miss Crawford, that befuddles me. I don’t get why Edmund would “fall in love” with someone like Miss Crawford. Maybe it’s her looks? Whatever the case, she isn’t a good match for him and not what I’d expect a 19th century clergyman’s wife to be.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I’m excited to read the rest of the book and discuss with you guys. Until then…


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Loved who you compared Mr. Crawford to! He is evil. And he does want women to fall at his feet. That is why he wants to seduce Fanny. She didn't fall at his feet and now it is a challenge to him. I hope she doesn't succumb! The story has picked up and is getting a bit more interesting. I really feel sorry for Fanny with her Aunt Norris. That woman is a Mr. Collins! ha! If she puts Fanny "in her place" one more time I might be tempted to go through the pages and give he a piece of my mind! Grrr! I think we all expect a bit more of Edmund since he is a clergyman, but I really think they lacked in their spiritual training in that era...at least the way Jane Austen writes. None of them are what I would consider Christian examples of true Christ followers. They are either judgmental jerks like Mr. Collins, or swayed by a pretty face as in Edmund's case. I wonder what they are taught in their seminary learning? How to write pretty speeches or maybe more hell fire and brimstone or personal opinions without looking up any Biblical verses. Yes, I have a problem with these so-called men of the cloth! hmph! Great post Miranda! Looking forward to next week's discussion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Mrs. Norris just awful? I hate the way she treats Fanny. It's just so sad. I agree with you that Austen's clergymen were not the best examples of their field. It just seems like so many men in that social class at that time went in that field, and maybe some of them didn't do it for the right reasons. That's just my opinion. Can't wait to read your post and I look forward to our next discussion! :-)

      Delete
    2. I think that the clergy-ship was more of a job/inheritance/purchased living etc. than a calling from the Lord. So when it is some form of any of those then of course you get the Mr. Collins and that ilk. I think Edmund is getting a bit side-tracked by Miss Crawford, but I am seeing that he really does feel responsible for his parish. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. So great to get your thoughts, Miranda! Edmund totally has me conflicted too...and it's troubling that Mr. Crawford is making a sport of trying to win Fanny's heart. :(

    Still, I'm curious to find out what happens next! I'm glad Fanny has a chance to spend some time with her brother too. :) So sweet!

    Thank you for the great post and your participation in the read-along!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Edmund gets his act together soon. Miss Crawford is not the type of woman he needs. And Mr. Crawford is just awful! Thanks for stopping by! Looking forward to next week! :-)

      Delete
  3. Personally, I believe that Edmund is smitten with Miss Crawford because she is different from all other women he knows. She's flirtatious, she's witty, she's sparkly, she's accomplished, and she can make intelligent conversation. She's also shallow, but she manages to hide that, and when he notices she's a bit superficial, he tells himself that she doesn't mean it. In one word, he's infatuated. He thinks it's love, though - because he's inexperienced with women and unable to read the signs. Just my two cents... I find it interesting to see how differently I look at this book now that I am older. When I was a teen, I was a bit bored with it, but now, I see all the scheming, the cabals, the failures of the parents, the character deficiencies and weaknesses... Fanny really is an 'old soul' - who instinctively has a sense of decency and propriety, despite all the decadence and lack of decorum around here. I know this sounds a bit harsh, but honestly, everyone in the family is just interested in their own affairs, Edmund being the exception. But he loses his head when Miss Crawford appears on the scene - while she doesn't make him forget his principles, she makes him at least doubt them. She's the personification of temptation, I'd say. - On the matter of clergymen, I'm sure Austen got to see an awful lot of really weird ones. As Julie pointed out, clergyship wasn't so much about a calling / vocation - it was more about getting 'adequately supplied' or 'comfortably circumstanced'. You were given the parishes by the local squires / aristocrats, and if you didn't have any connections, it could be hard for you to gain a foothold. That explains people like Mr Collins - who is a boot-licking toad! - who become experts in flattering and brownnosing (sorry for the language). That secures their position, obviously...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Ginette. The Bertrams and Norrises were definitely looking out for number 1. Fanny was an old so, wasn't she? :-) I really do like her. It's crazy the way clergyship worked back then. I'm glad that that has gone "out of style" since (at least I hope it has!)

      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts, Ginette! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts