Book of the Week #62 "Bleeding Heart"



by Amber Stokes

Sally Clay is a soiled dove. After leaving her home in Missouri only to have her heart broken by Jack Harvel, she's been working in a brothel. Yet after three years, she's through with the sordid life she finds herself in, and hearing that Jack is working in the redwoods of Oregon, she sets off to find him and make him see what he caused her to do, with Joe Clifton and Myghal and tagging along. Joe's heart is still broken after Elizabeth broke off their engagement and married David. He finds that he has feelings for Sally, but he's reluctant to act upon them. Myghal is also smitten with the blonde whose blue eyes flash with fire. And the wealthy Rufus O'Daniel isn't taking kindly to Sally turning down his proposal. When Sally finds that Jack is married, she's devastated. In haste, she marries Joe and they go back to his home in Virginia City, where even more heartache lies for them.

I must admit, I liked this story just a tad better than Forget Me Not, though I wasn't expecting to. There's a lot going on in this book, but it all ties together very well in ways you wouldn't expect. And The Thing that happens around the half-way mark- oh my goodness! I was not expecting that.

I liked Sally, though I wasn't expecting to. One feels sorry for her as her story unfolds, but she's strong and there's a fire inside of her that has kept her going through all that she's been through. I was glad to see her have a happy ending after all that happened to her.

All in all, this was another good story from Amber Stokes that fans of historical romance will surely enjoy.

I give this book a 4 out of 5.

Comments

  1. This book surprised me in the best sense. I loved how it was told and the unique story cues Amber threw in. Definitely a charming read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! A very lovely tale. Thanks for stopping by, Rissi! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts