Non Bookish Happenings

Hey readers and friends. I hope October is treating you well thus far. If not, well, there are 21 more days for it to start treating you well. Today I thought I'd check in with a few non-bookish tidbits going on in my world. For a while, I was really struggling with the project I'm working on. Things just weren't moving. Thankfully, that has passed and I'm getting back on track. When things like that happen, I think it's best to step away and take a break for a week or two. I like to work on something else, whether it's other writing projects or painting, and come back refreshed. In this case I went with working on paintings (and some blog posts; the girls over at The Broke and The Bookish have picked topics for Top Ten Tuesday all the way into next year, so I've been working on some of those posts.) and a few other crafty things.

I painted some Mason jars to look like candy corn, as I've seen others do online. I know Mason jar are oh-so-trendy right now, and I must admit I'm not one of those people that is all about the Mason jars, but, when you do things like this with them, I think they're cute. I made them to sell at this local event our town holds the first Saturday of each month called "Trade Days." It's basically an open flea market where they close off both ends of Main Street and let people set up to sell things. I usually bring my books and a few items that I no longer use, and my mom sells things, too. Sadly, I didn't sell anything, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.


The one pictured above was the first one that I painted. In person, you can still see the jar shining through the yellow and orange paint, so when I worked on the others, I painted them solid white, and then put the yellow and orange on and that worked much better. The white sort of acted like a primer. I'm sure you could find primer for these and that would work even better, but I didn't have any of that so I improvised.


We had some pumpkins grow in back yard voluntarily this summer. They're pie pumpkins, so they're small. I painted a few, and my favorites are the Jack and Sally ones. The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite movie. I also painted one to look like a Jack-o-lantern with glow-in-the-dark paint.

Can you all tell that I love fall? As if I hadn't written about it all summer.... But it's true; October is my favorite month of the year. I love Halloween. I know most don't expect Christians to love Halloween, and I respect that it isn't for everyone, but I love it. I don't view it as a satanic holiday; I just see it as a time of the year in which you can decorate with spooky decor and eat lots of candy. Plus, my birthday is four days before Halloween, and that always makes this time of year even more fun for me!

Thank you all for stopping by today. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Wow, I like your artistic talent! Way to go! The pumpkins you painted turned out really well!

    Speaking of Fall and Halloween, have you seen these Halloween inspired Jane Austen costume ideas on Bustle? I think you're a Jane Austen Fan , right?? https://www.bustle.com/articles/190734-the-fascinating-origin-of-on-the-rag-will-make-you-seriously-grateful-for-tampons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! It's really fun. Thanks for sharing the link! I'll have to keep those in mind for future reference! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts