Emma Read-Along Discussion #2



Hey readers and friends! I'm pretty late with this, but today I'm checking in with my post for the second Emma read-along discussion. Discussion questions were written by Amber.

Discussion Questions

Has your opinion of Emma changed at all during this past week's reading? What stood out to you most about her words and thoughts regarding Harriet, Mr. Elton, Frank Churchill, and/or Jane Fairfax?
I think Emma is beginning to see where she was wrong in the way she treated Harriet. She doesn't fully understand it yet, but she's starting to. I think she regrets trying to fix Harriet and Mr. Elton up and feels responsible for her friend's broken heart. I think Emma is very jealous of Jane Fairfax, because she seems to be beloved by all. I still think that Emma is selfish and bossy, but I'm hoping to see her change her ways throughout the rest of the book.

What was your first impression of Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill? Do find one more intriguing/ mysterious than the other?
I may sound crazy when write this, but to me it kind of seems like Jane Fairfax is that girl that you have an issue with, but it seems like everyone around you adores her, and that just makes everything she does that much more irritating to you. She seems nice when you meet her, but I don't know; something feels a little off, like later we'll see why Emma is so annoyed by her. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what I think for now.

Which character do you admire the most at this point?
Probably Mr. Knightley. I feel like we haven't seen a ton of him yet; he pops in from time to time, but he hasn't been as prominent in the story as some of the others. But, when he has been a part of the story so far, he seems to have been the most sensible and level headed character in the book.

If you were a character in the book, which character do you think you'd like to be matched with from what we know about everyone so far in the book? [I'm thinking romantically but you can also say who would be best matched as your friend or relative :)]
I'd like to have Mr. Woodhouse as a relative. Maybe not as my dad, but more as a grandfather or an uncle. He seems like he would be amusing.

Favorite Quotes

"Perfect happiness, even in memory, is not common."

For those that are participating in the read-along; what do you think of the book so far? Do you have any favorite aspects of it? For those that aren't currently reading Emma, but have in the past; did you enjoy the book when you read it? What were some of your favorite things about it?

-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. For some reason Emma has always been difficult for me to get through. This is a case where I like the movie adaptations much better than the book. The book seems so plodding and the long chapters are killing me. Makes me feel like I'm not gaining any progress. I know, whine whine whine. ha! I'm looking forward to reading what you think of the final part of the book! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it wasn't my favorite book by Jane Austen, but it wasn't my least favorite either and I still liked it. I finished it yesterday and I liked the ending! Thanks for stopping by, Julie. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your responses to the discussion questions! :) And I know what you mean by that second response, for sure. Those kinds of situations are difficult! I think they do a good job in the BBC miniseries adaptation of showing how Emma just gets sick and tired of hearing about all of Jane's accomplishments. ;) But I do like in the book, how Emma and Jane reconcile, and how Emma comes to sympathize with Jane. :)

    Mr. Woodhouse would certainly make an amusing relative! ;)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts