Emma Read-Along Discussion #1



Hey readers and friends! On Sunday, Amber posted the first discussion questions for the Emma read-along. I've been enjoying the book so far, and am looking forward to reading more of it!

Discussion Questions

What are your first impressions of Mr. Knightley and his relationship with Emma? Do his words about her and his attitude suggest genuine care or a sense of superiority?
I don't have a fully formed opinion of Mr. Knightley quite yet. As for his interactions with Emma, I think he might find her annoying. And as far as general care vs. superiority, I think it may be a mix of both.

Mr. Knightley tells Emma "You have been no friend to Harriet Smith." (ch. 8) To what degree do you agree or disagree with this statement?
I'm somewhat on the fence with this. I think Emma is oblivious to her shortcomings; she doesn't realize that she's bossy and so she thinks she's being a good friend to Harriet. But, if she wants to remain friends and have good relationships with other, she's going to have to learn to give people room and let them make their own decisions.

Who is your favorite secondary character? (Someone besides Emma or Mr. Knightley) What do you admire about or find interesting about the character?
I like Mr. Woodhouse. I relate to him because he likes to stay home and keeps a close circle of friends like I do. And he seems like a comforting sort of person, sort of like Mr. Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, only a little more eccentric.

Which Woodhouse do most closely match? Emma, her sister (Isabella), or her father?
Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's father.



See you next week with discussion post number two!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your responses, Miranda! So true about Emma being bossy and needing to give others around her the space to make their own decisions. While I do like her character in general, I confess those scenes where she was basically telling Harriet how to feel, but denying that she was doing so, were hard to bear. :( Mr. Martin sounds like such a great man!! I'm with Mr. Knightley on him being a good match for Harriet. ;)

    And aww, that's a great comparison - Mr. Woodhouse being a more-eccentric version of Mr. Bennet. :) Granted, I haven't read Pride and Prejudice (yet!), but I did see the 2005 movie. ;) Anyway, there's something very likable about Mr. Woodhouse, oddities and all! Like you said, he seems comforting. A creature of habit, and loving to a fault. He always says such nice things about Emma and Isabella, even if he's a bit overprotective and has a hard time letting go.

    Thanks so much for sharing, friend!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber! I'm hoping to see Emma mature throughout the book. And you'll love Pride and Prejudice; I know it! :)

      Delete
  2. Great answers Miranda. I'm not a Mr. Woodhouse fan. I find his constant worry about his health to be annoying. ha! I'm not quite as bold as Emma, but I do like to "fix" people. ha! I posted on my blog :) Hoping to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! I enjoyed your post, too! Looking forward to more. :)

      Delete
  3. I really liked your answers! Same for me with #1.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts