The Edwardian Era: The Setting of "A Castle in the Sky"



A Castle in the Sky begins in 1915 and ends in 1916. I don't think I intentionally chose this era, even though I do admire this time period. I don't know if I was thinking about Downton Abbey, since that is one of my favorite shows, which is entirely possible. I can just remember that I wanted to write a story about someone who spontaneously left the only home they had ever known, and I knew I wanted it to be historical. Whatever the reason for choosing the Edwardian era, it was a blessing, and I'm very glad I wrote about the 1910s.

The 1910s were a very elegant time. I love the clothing styles for both men and women, the cars were nice to look at. There was just a different sort of air about the 1910s that you don't get from modern time periods. But there were also some serious things going on in the Edwardian era. In 1912, the Titanic sank, shaking the whole world. People were terrified of travel after a ship once thought to be unsinkable crashed into a glacier and killed hundreds of people. Then, four years later, World War I broke out. Millions lost their lives and loved ones all across the world. This era caused quite a bit of sadness for the people living in it, but there were also many great things taking place in the 1910s. The suffragette movement had been going for quite a while, yet it was gaining more speed in the 1910s. Women were gaining more rights. Though they weren't allowed to vote during the years that A Castle in the Sky takes place, they were not far from it. In 1919, the 19th amendment was instated. And aside from social changes, more modern conveniences were becoming more common. Wealthier families were buying automobiles and putting electricity in their homes. Telephones were much more common than they had been previously. A lot of progress took place in the 1910s.

I wanted to take a little time to talk about the clothes. Abi is definitely not a girl who fixes her mind on fashion, though I do feel that the dress of the time was very elegant. Evening gowns had a more square shape and higher neckline than the infamous Victorian frocks, though they weren't as straight as the dresses of the twenties. Tiny waists were the fashion, and tight corsets were key in achieving this look. During the day women wore blouses and skirts, and when going out for walks and errands they wore day suits. Men usually wore dinner jackets with tails and trousers for dinners and waistcoats with button down shirts and trousers during the day.





I love the 1910s. It's just a neat period in time. I hope you enjoyed this post about the Edwardian era. Come back tomorrow to read about the message of A Castle in the Sky.


-Miranda Atchley






Comments

  1. I think I love the elegance of the 1910's. In fashion anyway. There was just something to be said about dressing for the occasion. I loved that they dressed for dinner and other occasions and for different outings during the day. I'm sure that all applied to just the gentry, but yeah, very elegant. I probably would have been a maid in some dull uniform though! ha! And YES! to Downton Abbey! Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to consider dressing for each occasion. The fashion was so beautiful, though I don't envy them the corsets. Ha! I could watch Downton Abbey for hours. Actually, I think I have....

      Thanks for stopping by today, Julie!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to drive in that car!! Love your book! Still not finished with it yet because I don't want to rush through the words, I want to slowly enjoy every bit of the story! :) Will definitely look forward to the sequel??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't a beaut? Autos were so much classier back then than they are nowadays. Aww, that makes me so happy to hear, Amber! I'm so glad that you're enjoying it!

      Delete
    2. Oops, forgot to mention; yes to a sequel! I'm going to start writing it in May. :)

      Delete
  3. Ohh I cannot wait to read your book someday soon. Aka when my To Be Read stack shrinks/I get a job again to *buy* books. ;) Love this peek into your story and the beauty of the Edwardian era!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait for you to read it! I hear you about the TBR issue. Mine grows every day, it seems! Thank you for stopping by today, Meghan!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the Edwardian era!!! I've had a story/novella about the Titanic in my mind for so long. Perhaps I should actually write it, and not procrastinate.

    The men looked so handsome and dapper back then. I wish we all still dressed like that - I say as I wear yoga pants and flip flops. oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing, Stefanie! I would love to read it when you finish it. :) The men did look quite dashing back in those days. I wish guys showed more class in modern times. And I hear you; I love the beautiful dresses of the 1910s, but yoga pants are SO comfortable!

      Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts