Top Ten Tuesday: Old Fashioned Romance



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

Today's top ten Tuesday was left open to interpretation. The topic was to pick ten books you think every fan of a certain genre should read. You could choose any genre you want, and so I thought I'd pick historical romance. I love historical fiction and my favorite kind of romance is historical. There's something about it that I enjoy much more than contemporary (though there are a few contemporary romance novels I enjoy). Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with ten books that I wanted to list here; there are so many historical romance novels that I want to read, but haven't gotten around to yet. But the ones I've listed below are great, and I hope you enjoy my list, anyway.



7: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Wuthering Heights may not be everyone's cup of tea with its darker elements, but it does have some romantic moments. And I couldn't make a list of historical romance novels without featuring the only Bronte novel I've ever read (I'm working on remedying that soon).



6: The Singing River Series by Gilbert Morris
This is a really good series involving a strong female protagonist, a handsome small town doctor, and a swoony-broody author guy. Check it out!


5: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
I just read this in a group and it is a really good book. It's different than Jane Austen's more popular novels, what with the Gothic touches and all, but it's still a really good book and has those "swoony" moments.


4: Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery
This is one of L.M. Montgomery's shorter novels, but it's a really sweet story. I'd definitely recommend it.



3: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."



2: I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
This is one of my favorite novels. It's so beautifully written; one of those that you really want to savor. If you're looking for a story about first loves set in an English castle in the '30s, then this is the book for you.



1: The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
I cannot say enough good things about this book! It's just so incredibly lovely. Valancy starts out as a rather pitiful heroine, but grows so much throughout the book. I wasn't sure about Barney in the beginning, but by the end, I loved him. He and Valancy are so perfect together.


Comments

  1. I started reading Northanger Abbey years ago and never finished it. But I do adore the movie with JJ Tilney and someday, someday I *must* finish (I.E., re-start) the novel. :) Fun list - and I love this topic, Miranda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rissi! I'm totally going to have to watch the movie someday. I hear J.J.Feild is charming in it. :)

      Delete
  2. You had me at "swoony-broody author guy" - adding that series to my TBR list for sure! :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! :) I thought that would catch some people's attention! Thanks for stopping by, Carrie!

      Delete
  3. Oooo, nice topic!! I like your choices of books this week. :-)


    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/04/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-every-russian.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed both Pride and Prejudice and Withering Heights when I read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really great books. Thank you for stopping by today!

      Delete
  5. Great post! :) Love these old fashioned stories. Definitely have a lot to add to my To Be Read list though.
    (I gave this post a little shout out on my Top Ten Tuesday post today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meghan! I love a good old fashioned story, too. Thank you for giving my post a shout out! I appreciate it so much. :)

      Delete
  6. Once again a great list! I enjoy a good historical novel as well. I've read a few of the books on your list, but added Kilmeny Of The Orchard(free on Amazon at the moment) and there was also a free compilation of L.M. Montgomery's short stories that was free. Unfortunately it didn't have The Blue Castle in it, but it is only .99 so am getting that one as well. I read Wuthering Heights years and years ago. And of course Pride and Prejudice is my all-time favorite. Again, great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Julie! I downloaded the free copies of Kilmeny and a bunch of short collections by LMM last year. I haven't gotten to the shorts, but I'm looking to doing so someday. And the $o.99 copy of The Blue Castle is the one I have, too! I think you'll love it; it's dreamy.

      Pride and Prejudice and so good. No wonder it's timeless!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts