Book of the Week #37 "Anne of the Island"



by L.M. Montgomery

After teaching at the Avonlea school house for a couple of years, Anne Shirley moves to Nova Scotia to attend Redmond college. As most new college students, Anne feels uncertain in her new surroundings, but soon she settles in and makes friends and does very well at school. The book spans four years, Anne's entire college education. Within those four years, Anne conquers college, moves into a rent home with her friends, has a romance with an older man, and finds out what true love is. She also goes to the home where she was born and speaks with a friend of her parents who tells her things about the parents she's never known.

This book ranks as about my third favorite of the Anne books. Anne of Green Gables is my favorite, Anne's House of Dreams is a second, and then Anne of The Island is my third. I think I enjoy it so well because Anne really seems to be in her element at college. She's a very smart girl and really thrives there once she gets used to it. Though she has a bit of a shaky start, she comes to love being at college and makes friends, though she misses her bosom friend Diana Barry, now Diana Wright, dearly.

 One part I don't like about this book is Anne's relationship with Morgan. I say I don't like it because I don't like to think of Anne being with anyone except for Gilbert, but that relationship did add a bit of drama that kept you guessing and made you appreciate even more that she chose Gilbert. And this is the book in which Anne realizes how much she truly does love Gilbert. Love it!

All in all, Anne of The Island is a lovely addition to the Anne of Green Gables series and one of my favorite portions of the collection.


I give this book a 5 out 5.

You might also like: An Ode to Anne

Comments

Popular Posts