Book of the Week #38 "Anne of Windy Poplars"



by L.M. Montgomery

Now that she has graduated college, Anne is the principal over a school in Summerside, where she is also a teacher. The home she lives in is called Windy Poplars and is owned by two widows, Aunt Kate and Aunt Chatty. Also at Windy Poplars is a gruff house maid named Rebecca Dew and a cat named Dusty Miller, whom Rebecca can't stand. Anne has a shaky start at the high school as she deals with the snobbish Pringle family and her miserable college, Katherine Brooke. Yet in true Anne form, she never gives up and most parties soon grow very fond of Anne-with-an-e.

After nearly losing Gilbert to scarlet fever in Anne of The Island, Anne is now engaged to her grade school rival and couldn't be more in love with him if she tried. As Gilbert is away at medical school, he and Anne exchange letters. The book spans three years and in that time we see Anne and Gilbert's love for one another deepen.

I have to admit, this isn't one of my favorites in the series. I don't dislike it; I just don't love as much as the others. It was a little harder for me to get involved in this book and both times I've read it, I've mainly skipped around. I do enjoy reading the letters that are exchanged between Anne and Gilbert as Gilbert is away at medical school. I think that's my favorite part.

Anne of Windy Poplars may not be one of my favorite books, but I still appreciate it as a part of the Anne of Green Gables series.


I give this book a 4 out 5.

You might also like: An Ode to Anne

Comments

  1. I love the Anne books! I was so disappointed in the movies though. They deviated so far away from the books. Oh well...but yes, the Windy Poplars book wasn't my favorite either. but I did like the aunts and Rebecca Dew. She's a crusty thing, but loyal. We should do an Anne read-along! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Anne of Green Gables series is my favorite! There's just something so special about them that I love. I agree; the aunts and Rebecca Dew are interesting to read about. True, Rebecca is a crabby patty, but she's humorous to read about.

      I think an Anne read-along sounds fantastic! Perhaps this summer after we've rested from the Little Women and Northanger Abbey read-alongs?

      Thanks for stopping by today, Julie!

      Delete
    2. That would be fun! I'm enjoying the read-alongs for sure!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts