Northanger Abbey Read-Along Chapters 11-17



Northanger Abbey chapters 11-17

So before we get to the discussion questions, let me just say, I am so over Isabella and John Thorpe! I didn't like them to begin with, but now I really don't like them. Ugh! They are so manipulative and whiny.

Discussion Questions:
Questions were written by Amber.

1. How do you feel about the way Catherine handled herself with John, Isabella, and James when they pressured her into ditching her walk with the Tilneys in favor of their own outings? How do you feel about the way she explained herself to the Tilneys?

That situation made me angry. The Thorpes are so manipulative and sneaky! It's almost unsettling. And it's frustrating that her brother would let them do that to her, though we know it's because he's in love with Isabella. I'm glad Catherine spoke her mind; it's nice to see her stick up for herself, but she does it respectfully.

2. Henry, his sister, and Catherine have an interesting discussion about books and education on their walk. What was your favorite part of that conversation? Did any of their opinions on novels, history, or the difficulties in learning to read resonate with you?


This is my favorite moment with Henry Tilney so far! It really seals the deal. I love reading how much he loves novels, especially after reading John Thorpe's thoughts on the subject (ick). I don't know about Miss Tilney, but what I've read so far I like. She seems very mellow and nice.

3. We've been given more glimpses into Henry's character - as well as Catherine's infatuation with him. Do you think Catherine has fallen too hard too fast? Or do you think Henry is proving himself worthy of such admiration?

I kind of think it's a bit of both. Catherine does seem to be awfully swoony over Henry, but he seems like a nice guy and is smart and respectful. When you're seventeen, it's not hard to fall head-over-heels for an older man quickly.

Favorite Quotes:

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel must be intolerably stupid."

Other Impressions:

The more I become familiar with Henry Tilney, the more I like him. He's funny, but he's also smart and doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. It's nice to read about a guy like that, especially after reading about John Thorpe. I haven't finished this week's section (I think I'm at the end of chapter 15) but am going to work on getting caught up today. Still enjoying this lovely classic and looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts!

-Miranda Atchley


Comments

  1. First, who could not love that quote?! Absolutely my favorite this week :)

    I'm so glad you are liking Henry, as you read on my post he's still questionable to me. I assume that he will grow on me though since he MUST be Catherine's love interest for the "Happily Ever After" that always comes to a Jane Austen heroine.

    Oh My GOSH! The Thorpes are absolutely stinkin annoying! I too am over their shenanigans! I just want to shake Catherine and tell her these people are no good! Get a clue! And hurry up about it! They definitely have some ulterior motives going on and it is worrying me with how naive Catherine is. Gah!

    Good point about Catherine being 17 and easily falling for an older man! I forget that she is so young, so that could explain away so much of her innocence where the Thorpes are concerned.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more about the Thorpes! I'm so ready for Catherine to shake them off once and for all. I have a feeling it's going to happen soon. It's easy to forget that Catherine is 17 for me, too. I guess it's because she's staying away from home for so long and being paired off with two different guys. No way would my parents let me do that at 17! But I guess that's just another difference between then and now.

      Nice talking to you, Julie!

      -Miranda Atchley

      Delete
  2. I haven't really asked anything about Miss Tilney, have I? Yet she plays such a sweet, albeit understated, role. I'm glad you mentioned her, and I so agree about her mellow and kind nature. :)

    And I agree with you and Julie - that's a great observation about Catherine's age! Because even though times were different back then, a 17-year-old girl is still young and impressionable, and Catherine shows her age in the way she gets swept off her feet and swayed by others. However, I'm proud of her for standing up for herself to the Thorpes - even though her brother was on their side!

    I agree that it's kind of bothersome James didn't look out for his sister more in these scenes. :(

    Another great post, Miranda!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Miss Tilney; she seems like a sweet girl and a good friend to Catherine. I agree; kudos to Catherine for standing up for herself!

      Delete
  3. I love that quote! I mentioned it too, because it's just so true, isn't it? :)

    I, too, absolutely loved when Henry totally surprised Catherine by admitting that he enjoys reading novels! She was so not expecting him to say that and it just proves how he makes her think. He challenges her stereotypes, which she needs.

    I like Miss Tilney as well. She's quiet and gentle, and seems to have a really good influence on Catherine.

    Great answers! Will be by your other posts once I finally get the book finished and my answers up. (*sigh* Nope, I'm not finished yet. *embarrassed grin*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite quotes from the entire book! Probably one of my favorite Austen quotes of all time, really. Miss Tilney is a sweet person and I'm glad Catherine found a friend in her after dealing with Isabella Thorpe. You'll love the ending; I'm sure! Thanks for stopping by and following, Kara!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts