Writing In A Winter Wonderland


Winter is a really nice time to write. As the days shorten, there is no temptation to go out for a walk in the evenings. And on the snow days that barricade us inside, there's much writing to be done. I first began writing Stephanie's Story when it was snowing. It was so cold in my room and I would take breaks here and there to go to the living room and stand by the wood stove and warm up. Then I'd go back to my room and work on my first novel some more.

Snow can be so inspiring. It's so sparkly and pretty and there is a never ending list of the snow scenes you can write. And there's just something about winter that seems like a nice time to attempt to write the great American novel. Maybe it's because winter can sometimes be depressing and we like to channel pain into art. Maybe it's because we find ourselves indoors more. Or maybe you've made writing a novel one of your New Year's resolutions. Whatever the case, you can't deny that winter seems like the perfect time to write.

So on one of the snowy days we're bound to face before spring rolls around, take the time to write. Write about your day, write a letter to someone you haven't spoken to in a while, write a blog post, an article. Start writing the novel that's been in the back of your mind forever. You might be surprised by the outcome.


-Miranda Atchley

Comments

  1. Love this post :) It reminds of when I was living in Alberta last year, before getting pregnant or having my son, when I had much more time ;)

    Winter is only just starting to ramp up, which is weird for Ontario, and it's putting me in a writing mood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Stefanie! Glad you're feeling more of the writer's itch. It always feels good to get back to writing after taking some time off, doesn't it? Wishing you well in all your endeavors!

      -Miranda Atchley

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you've enjoyed your visit. Leave a comment if you'd like; I love hearing from readers!

Popular Posts